SOLVED

Re: Sitemap for Landing Pages

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sitemap for Landing Pages

What are folks doing to get their landing pages indexed? Is there a sitemap.xml tool/capability in MKTO that I'm missing? Since we have a bunch of landing pages with a bunch of meta and other content, we'd like to index it for SEO and other reasons. What are our options here? We can't put a sitemap.xml at the root of our subdomain that's been CNAME'd to MKTO, so what can we do?
Am I crazy to think this is a major issue, or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks,
Alan McCarty
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Casey_Grimes
Level 10

There's a slight distinction that actually solves this problem, because it's certainly not unique to Marketo.

While you can't have a sitemap at the CNAME root of your Marketo instance, what you CAN do is generate a sitemap and either add the entries to your main site's sitemap or hosted on your site separately and reference it in robots.txt, so long as you can show Google Search Console you own both the domain and the CNAME subdomain.

A bit more information on the subject, albeit slightly older.

- Courtney

DemandLab

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The full Marketo landing pages we use are always temporary and tied to offers. Anything that should be indexed on our site we usually embed a Marketo form in a non-Marketo page using an iFrame.

https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000KzRQ&src=supp
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's exactly what we do too.
Anonymous
Not applicable

How does the iframe embed drive traffic to your landing pages? Or is that not your goal? Ours is to drive leads to our landing pages to offset some of the PPC spend. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

It doesn't. I assumed you wanted Marketo functionality without the limitations you cite which this will accomplish. What do you use the landing pages for if not for capturing lead information?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ultimately, lead gen is our goal, yes, and that's the only reason we use MKTO landing pages. However, we rely heavily on PPC to get them there. Frankly I'm surprised that there aren't more ways to drive SEO-based traffic to these pages. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some people use Marketo for microsites, so a sitemap.xml could be useful

You may want to review the options with Google/Bing Webmaster Tools to ensure you do this properly since sub-domains are handled differently in some situations.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same question.... I want to be sure my Marketo LP's are included in my Google Search Console. Are we able to supply Marketo with the xml sitemap to add to our folder on their server? Or, does Marketo already have an xml sitemap in place? If there is already one in place, can Marketo supply us with a copy of the files so that we can load it to our Google Search Console?

Laura Magee

Casey_Grimes
Level 10

There's a slight distinction that actually solves this problem, because it's certainly not unique to Marketo.

While you can't have a sitemap at the CNAME root of your Marketo instance, what you CAN do is generate a sitemap and either add the entries to your main site's sitemap or hosted on your site separately and reference it in robots.txt, so long as you can show Google Search Console you own both the domain and the CNAME subdomain.

A bit more information on the subject, albeit slightly older.

- Courtney

DemandLab