Re: Should I start our program and tagging strategy over?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I start our program and tagging strategy over?

I inherited a Marketo account where the tags are somewhat all over the board (photo attached). None of the programs to this point have ever had a period cost associated, and I am getting nothing out of the Program Reporting. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed as we have so many older programs and campaigns.

Are there any strong negatives to starting over with our tagging? If I were to gut all of the current tags and start fresh.

Thanks in advance for any insights!

3 REPLIES 3
Darrell_Alfons2
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I'm going to go with a non-conventional answer and say that this is a great opportunity to look at the reports your team reviews on a monthly/quarterly basis and see what metrics are influencing decision-making versus which ones are "pretty to look at".

Then you can go forward and say "these are the channels and program types we are going to compare each month" and we'll add more if we need to.

But you are out of luck if you are responsible for reporting on last year etc, so you will probably have to go back and tag everything with your new channel and tag system.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

What we see here are the Channels, which are harder to handle in terms of a re-do.

The other Tags could be modified more easily for reporting.

There are ideas on how to organize this on the Forum and here

LeanData | Setting Up Program Channels for Success

Brian_Law_MKTO
Marketo Employee

Hi Michael, if I were in your shoes I would start by making sure you have a good naming convention and all your programs are following it. It is a lot faster and easier to change program names then go through the ardous manual process of updating your tags. Here are some articles I wrote about program naming and tags. Checklist for Attribution Reporting