Should I see an error message when editing person details after blocking updates from that source?

Paul_Seiler
Level 1

Should I see an error message when editing person details after blocking updates from that source?

I have a question about the "Block Updates From" function in the filed management area of the admin menu. As part of implementing the sync solution between Marketo and MSDynamics I want to prevent Marketo users from "accidentally" changing data that comes from the CRM (e.g. Student ID). Having blocked field updates from this source, I was surprised to find that I can still edit the fields and the values appear to change. However, the changes doesn't stick and the activity log show no such activity, not even the failed attempt. Yet no error message was displayed. So no change was saved but neither did I receive an error or warning. Is this the expected (or correct) behaviour?

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Should I see an error message when editing person details after blocking updates from that source?

That's expected.

Paul_Seiler
Level 1

Re: Should I see an error message when editing person details after blocking updates from that source?

Thanks, Sanford. I would prefer that users were shown an error message explaining that they can't update this field and who they should talk to. Transparency would provide a better user experience. But at least I can move on with my testing. Thanks again.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Think of it as a Smart Campaign they don't qualify for.

I agree it would be good to get feedback for interactive changes, since those are rate-limited by human typing/nav speed. But I wouldn't want ActLog entries for blocked updates. That would unnecessarily slow down the database during bulk loads.