Re: Shared IP and Volume of Sends

Chelsey_Davis
Level 3

Shared IP and Volume of Sends

Hello,

We're planning on sending ~160,000 emails next week. We're currently on a shared IP, and our current deliverability seems to be fine. My question is, we haven't sent nearly this amount of emails before (the most we've sent at once has been about 400 or so), so is there anything I should be concerned about, or should we be good to send with no issues?

Thanks!

Chelsey

---

14 REPLIES 14
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Chelsey,

The risk is real here, especially if you never had the chance to test the validity of all your email addresses or if you have large representation of free email providers in your addressees.

Sending 400 email at a time made you stay below the radar on all receivers, which means you also never have the chance to build up your reputation.

-Greg

Chelsey_Davis
Level 3

But is it still a real risk if we're on a shared IP and therefore not necessarily in control of our IP reputation? We haven't gone the dedicated route yet b/c we're not planning to send this amount of emails frequently.

Thanks,

Chelsey

---

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Sorry, my bad, I answered too fast, I read "dedicated" and not "shared"

160000 is not such a big deal on a shared one. Yet, I would probably divide it in 4 parts of 40000 for the first send. you might want to use random samples here. the main risk is that, if one of your addressee's email server receives a few hundreds of emails, you end up blacklisted, but that risk will always be there anyway.

-Greg

Chelsey_Davis
Level 3

Thanks, Grégoire! I'm planning to send to 80,000 next week and then the rest the following week, so hopefully that's broken up enough?

Steven_Vanderb3
Marketo Employee

You still have to worry about your brand reputation even on a shared IP.

Chelsey_Davis
Level 3

Thanks, Steven. Of course everyone should still be concerned about brand reputation regardless of dedicated or shared IP!

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I'd be deeply concerned about the consequences of such a sudden and steep ramp-up.

It's not about the volume itself as the error (i.e. inadvertent spam) rate. 400 is so low, you won't detect anomalies that could come out brutally when you exponentially increase the volume.

Chelsey_Davis
Level 3

Thanks, Sanford. What anomalies might you be referring to?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Here are a few examples:

let's say in your DB, you have a list of 200 people from the same company. When you were selecting 400 leads, only a 1 or 2 of them were in the addressee list. 2 people receiving the same email from the same sender is a no brainer for the receiving system. Imaging that all of a sudden the same receiving email server receives 200 emails. It will surely block you as a sender after 20 or 30 and the vast majority of the addressees will never see the email. Furthermore, you will be blacklisted in this company with almost no possibility to remove you from the blacklist.

It can be even worse when the receiving servers are gmail or outlook.com