Re: Sharable link using mkt_token?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sharable link using mkt_token?

Hi,

I wonder if you can point me in the right direction.  I am using mkt_token in an email link to a landing page, so that I can pull in a unique value from the page visitors contact record using a token in some JS on the page.  Here is the bit of JS:

<script>

var xmlhttp = new XMLHttpRequest();

var url = "https://checker.blackducksoftware.com:8080{{lead.sCReportURL1}}";

The value in the field “sCReportURL1”, is the relative URL to the report we are generating for the site visitor that is using our free “code scanner”.  It is unique to that user.

The problem here is that this link and landing page are now not “sharable” within the prospects organization. We want him/her to be able to share the link and for others to view the report.  So the link is personalized and dynamic in the beginning, but later it needs to be static and sharable.  Is this possible?

-Chris

11 REPLIES 11
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

It's somewhat possible, but not with Marketo alone.  ShareMaker, one of my recent experiments, can "burn" static pages based on a personalized page, and the static pages are immune to the problems of (1) associating clicks with the original lead and (2) personalizing the page with the original lead's info.

However, it must be admitted that as long as the dynamic page URL is in-the-wild, you run the risk of somebody sharing that page instead of the one you want them to share.  With ShareMaker, you sidestep that temptation because you only give people the ShareMaker link to post to social media, so SM always generates a "neutralized" page.  In your case, if you're sending people a tokenized dynamic URL to an LP, even if the LP itself has a sharing-safe URL in the page content ​you can't truly stop people from sending around the URL that's open in their browser or that they see in their email.  (On the browser side, you can try to inhibit direct sharing by stripping off the query string after the lead is associated, so the URL in the location bar doesn't have the ?mkt_tok in it.)

Elliott_Lowe1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Interesting - where do I go to learn more about SM? 

SanfordWhiteman

You can sign up at http://sharemaker.launchrock.com... but since I know you already have my address a good jumpstart is to send me an email from your Marketo instance.  Then I'll send you back a SM URL so you can see how it burns static LPs from emails.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Sanford, I have sent you an email sample separately.  Let me know what I need to do to get testing/using SM.

-Chris

Elliott_Lowe1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

I sent you a Marketo email as well.  I'll keep an eye out for you SM URL.

SanfordWhiteman

What was the Subject line?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Subject line is “FW: Your Security Checker Vulnerability Scan Results”. It’s coming from me, ccurley@blackducksoftware.com<mailto:ccurley@blackducksoftware.com>. I just resent it.

-Chris

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you get my email Sanford?  Just confirming.  I also signed up on the web site.  When might I see some info about trying/using it?  Sorry if I am pestering.  I have some time sensitivity on this little project. 

-Chris

SanfordWhiteman

Just wrote to you.