Setting lead record type in SFDC when Marketo creates lead

Anonymous
Not applicable

Setting lead record type in SFDC when Marketo creates lead

How can you set the lead record type when Marketo creates a lead in SFDC? Right now Marketo will create the SFDC lead with the default lead record type and then after a minute or two update the lead record type based on flow in the smart campaign. This is too late as the lead will have already gone through the lead assignment rules in SFDC incorrectly. We need the lead record type to be set correctly at creation. Can this be done by Marketo?
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Setting lead record type in SFDC when Marketo creates lead

Hey Liz,

We built a flow in SFDC to be triggered when a Lead with a certain value was synched over. We populate the field using Marketo and then when synched, the record type is changed. I would definitely test because I am unsure of the timing. But as far as changing a record type from Mkto, I am pretty sure that Mkto does not have that capability currently.
Anonymous
Not applicable

We update some of the record types too after creation, as we have also have recruitment candidates passing through. But can't you fix it at the SFDC end? Create a new checkbox field in SFDC (and map to Marketo). Set this checkbox to True before syncing. And update your SFDC assignment rules to not touch records with that checkbox set to True.
Anonymous
Not applicable

We include a flow step in smart campaigns to change lead record type value BEFORE the sync to SalesForce or add to SalesForce campaign step. That way when it syncs over, the record type is already correctly set. So far it's worked pretty well for us. It would be able to set a default lead record type for Marketo, though. We want it to be able to see all of the record types, but really only create 1 or 2.