Re: Setting a campaign for the first 50 registrants

Anonymous
Not applicable

Setting a campaign for the first 50 registrants

Hey guys,

I'm using Rybbon for gifting in my Marketo campaigns. I'd like to offer a reward to the first 50 people that fill out a survey (Survey Monkey will kick out a list with names and dates of survey completion). Is there a way in Marketo to send an email to the first 50 people on that list? Can I set a triggered email that stops after the first 50?

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Robin,

No you cannot.

Proposed workaround :

• set your campaigns in a program.
  • Create a specific channel for this program that contains a "first 50".
  • Use the SurveyMonkey-Marketo integration (to be bought from SurveyMonkey) or just set a Marketo Landing Page that people visit after completing the survey.
  • Create a triggered campaign that adds people to your program in the "First 50" status when they have completed the survey.
  • Monitor the program and deactivate the triggered campaign when you have reached the 50.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! Very helpful.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting business case Robin.

I have done this several times in a similar marketing automation system before. That system had a functionality of 'program level counter's which we could choose to increment for every submission and it also had these counter variable available to be part of a conditional logic in a program (i.e. smart campaign). Marketo does not right now support that.

If you need to this for a one-off campaign, Greg's suggestion might be an easier (and manual) way to go. But if you need to do it several times, you need an automated solution. I have a solution but I'm testing it before I can write about here.

Rajesh Talele

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! Tell us more about your solution when it's ready!

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is how this solution will work,

A>

Create a 'survey count' field in Marketo.

B> Web service

1> Outside Marketo, create a simple web service (using PHP or so) which accepts 2 kinds of requests.

a> Increment counter value

b> Get current counter value

Basically, this web service is a 'counter keeper' which keeps a running count of how many surveys you have gotten so far.

C> Web Hooks

In Marketo, you will have to create 2 web hooks which will talk to this web service. When a new survey is submitted, you call this 'increment' service using a web hook to increment the counter. The web service will return the 'current count' via XML back. Marketo web hook will parse it and store that number on that lead's 'survey count' field. Thus, each survey submitter will get stamped with their number in the survey submission order.

D> Smart list condition

Let your survey take its course. Once you are ready to send the email to the 'First 50 submitters', simply create a smart list identifying all the leads who filled that form and have the 'survey count' value less than or equal to 50.

You can even send different messages to 'even' and 'odd' number of submissions too. Not sure why anyone will do, but you can.....

You can even improve this a bit to automatically 'close' the survey after 50 responses and so on..

This might be an overkill for a one-off requirement but if you intend to do this several times, this will save a lot of time and even give more insights.

Hope this helps...

Rajesh Talele