Setting Up Tokens

Anonymous
Not applicable

Setting Up Tokens

Hello Marketo Community,

I have been looking a number of token posts, however I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some favorite posts around this topic. I understand the importance of token, but I am looking for posts surrounding how to set them up. Specially around how to set up my first template.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Britt

5 REPLIES 5
John_Clark1
Level 10

Re: Setting Up Tokens

Hi Britt,

There are a few types of tokens, and only My.Tokens would need to be set up.  Standard fields in your instance will have a token available for them as soon as the field is created, so for instance, the First Name field value can be placed in an email with the token {{lead.First Name}}.  Anywhere you place that token will populate with that field value.  If you create custom fields, then they will be {{lead.custom field name}}.

My.Tokens can be found in each program or campaign folder under the My.Tokens tab.  You would set the values for these tokens, and they would only be available to child assets of the program or folder where they're created.

Does that make sense?

John

Anonymous
Not applicable

That does makes sense, thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is a great article from the Docs portal:  Tokens Glossary - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you this is very helpful.

Andy_Varshneya1
Level 9

Hi Britt,

The way you would want to approach this is by considering what type of details you're referencing multiple times, and then thinking about if that content is being used repetitively only in the program or in multiple programs. For example, details like the name of an event will be used in the emails and landing pages of a particular program only, but other details like the email address of who to send alerts to will be used in multiple programs.

Once you've identified that, you can start building out your tokens. The details that you want shared with every program, you'll put in the parent folder like so:

Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 10.43.56 AM.png

These tokens are now inherited and available for use by all other programs in the Marketing Programs folder as well.

Other details that you'll only be using at a program level, you'll want to put at the program level:

Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 10.50.13 AM.png

One important detail to take into consideration is that you should try to standardize the names as much as possible so that you can reference the tokens in the templates as well. For example, {{my.Asset Image Link}} is referenced in the email templates as well as landing page templates in their HTML, so now when that link is updated, all the assets in that program have the same image that they're referencing. Because of that, we call that primary image the Asset Image Link in all tokens in every program.