SOLVED

Re: Server Response Time

Go to solution
Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

Server Response Time

I know that we can't enable caching, but what can be done to fist laggy server response times? I've been checking my pages on Google's PageSpeed Insights tool and last night I got an 86, this morning a 73 mostly due to laggy server response times. My most recent test is 1.6 seconds and Google is red flagging it.

I'm also getting flagged for our server not using gzip compression.

These factors, from what I've read, make The Algorithm not love my pages but they're not things I have any control over as they're server-side.

Robb Barrett
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Thanks, Edward! Yes, you can get major improvements by loading Marketo LPs and assets though a CDN such as CloudFront or Fastly.

Not only that, but you usually get SSL onboarding for free, which is a major cost advantage.  The overall cost for your domain might  be < $20 per month, especially if you give everything a nice long expiry (for Marketo to offer this service to all customers for free would be a financial hit for them, but for an individual site it can be a near-negligible expense).

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Depends on the code you have on the page too, right? Ask Support to see if your instance or pod is having issues.

if speed is that important that 1.6s is too slow, then you may want to push your forms and pages to your main site.

Edward_Unthank_
Level 10

You can move all your assets (images, CSS, JS) hosted on Marketo to a CDN instead, which can increase performance quite a bit if you're not already doing this. If you're looking to go beyond that and don't use server-side dynamism as much, you can take it further and apply your own caching to Marketo. That's one of Sanford Whiteman​'s area of expertise.

Cheers,

Edward

SanfordWhiteman

Thanks, Edward! Yes, you can get major improvements by loading Marketo LPs and assets though a CDN such as CloudFront or Fastly.

Not only that, but you usually get SSL onboarding for free, which is a major cost advantage.  The overall cost for your domain might  be < $20 per month, especially if you give everything a nice long expiry (for Marketo to offer this service to all customers for free would be a financial hit for them, but for an individual site it can be a near-negligible expense).

Anonymous
Not applicable

When using Fastly as a CDN how would you fix this issue where everyone's inferred company shows up as Fastly?

Screenshot 2016-03-28 18.09.04.png

SanfordWhiteman

Are you rewriting content (for example, script sources)?  What you're showing won't happen with a correct CDN setup.  Form posts and Munchkin hits don't go through the CDN.

Billy_Jones1
Level 1

Sanford Whiteman​  Can you share the steps to hosting your Marketo assets through your CDN ?

Amy_Lepre
Level 7

It seems a bit ridiculous to be paying Marketo as much as we do and still have to use another paid source so Marketo's system isn't slow. I expect speed and responsiveness to be a part of the solution I pay Marketo for.

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

Gospel-Choir[1].jpg

Robb Barrett
ElliottAntal
Level 2

Hi Sanford - I know this original post was from 2016, but are CloudFront or Fastly still your leading recommendations for CDNs to serve Marketo LPs from?