SOLVED

Separating Pre-Event Marketing

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Separating Pre-Event Marketing

Hi,

We have an upcoming tradeshow. I have created a program in Marketo as an event with the aim being to upload all the leads we generate at the tradeshow as members into this program. They will then be entered into the generic lead nurturing.

However, I would like to send out some pre-event marketing emails to 3 separate lists.
1) Leads which we captured from an event last year "come visit us again"
2) Purchased list of contacts acquired
3) Our customer base

My question is this - should I have a separate program within the tradeshow folder for the pre-event email and the campaigns? I don't want the 3 lists of data outlined above to be in the event membership tab as they weren't neccessarily at the event. If I send each of the 3 data lists above a separate email with separate messaging... should each of the 3 emails to the 3 data lists be a separate program?

Thank you,

Jess

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Separating Pre-Event Marketing

If you don't want the lists to merge at all, then you are correct to use 3 different programs.

One thing you might consider is to treat the entire Trade Show marketing program from pre-event emails to post event emails as one continous event. You can create a new Trade Show Channel to help you do this if you want to differentiate people:

-Invited - Last Year
-Registration List
-New Met at Show
etc

It could depend on what you want those other leads to do once they get your email too. Are they going to visit? Sign up for something? Just an email reminder?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13

If you don't want the lists to merge at all, then you are correct to use 3 different programs.

One thing you might consider is to treat the entire Trade Show marketing program from pre-event emails to post event emails as one continous event. You can create a new Trade Show Channel to help you do this if you want to differentiate people:

-Invited - Last Year
-Registration List
-New Met at Show
etc

It could depend on what you want those other leads to do once they get your email too. Are they going to visit? Sign up for something? Just an email reminder?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Josh,

The pre-event eDM will be similar messaging for all 3 lists. The CTAs are to register for the event and enter a competition to win a free conference pass. The aim of the emails is to get people to come visit us at the event. We would like to be able to see which leads engaged with the email, attended the event and so on, to be able to see the behaviour and how the pre-event emails affected attendance etc.

Will it affect reporting etc if I have a folder with the event name, then 2 programs within it - one being the actual event and one being the pre-event marketing? Or would you advise that I use the continuous event program as suggested above? I'm not sure what you mean by this option?

Thanks again,

Jess
Josh_Hill13

No, having two programs within a folder has no effect on the Program reports.

My thought is if you wanted to track who responded to the email by visiting your booth, you should have a single program to full track this.

You will need to create a custom channel called "Trade Show Funnel" (for example) with new statuses to match your pre-event work:

Invited
Registered
Registration List (if you get this from the show)
Met at Booth
Left Card at Booth
Pass Winners
Invited - Came to Booth
Requested Call

or something like that. Your successes will be Met at Booth. The program will note who was new or "Acquired" to the system thanks to this program.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Josh - this really helps. I have created this new channel now.

Thanks again for your help!

Jess
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Josh,

How do you synch a custom channel in Salesforce?  We just created a new channel for conferences, and I am having a hard time synching it.

Thanks!