Re: Sending to a fraction of a smart list

Angus_McCann1
Level 3

Sending to a fraction of a smart list

New to Marketo here and trying to replicate processes that we have used in previous systems:

In an effort to not over-send to contacts in a specific time-frame, we're trying to shrink segment/smart list sizes.

So for example: If I build an email program and the smart list I build has a total audience of 10,000 contacts, how would I go about sending to only 5,000 of those contacts (preferably at random) without having to put arbitrary filters on the smart list until it shrinks to the appropriate size?

4 REPLIES 4
JD_Nelson
Level 10 - Community Advisor

You would apply the Random Sample filter to limit that.

Angus_McCann1
Level 3

Random sample seems to be something that is only available within Smart Campaigns and not an Email Program.

Is it possible to do this with an Email Program? I'm fairly new to Marketo, so my gut is telling me to use the Email Program over a Smart Campaign when I only want to send out a single email, but let me know if that is not the case.

JD_Nelson
Level 10 - Community Advisor

True -- only available in batch campaigns. You could create a local smart list utilizing the functionality, and then reference that smart list in your email program. That will give you the results you need.

Angus_McCann1
Level 3

Awesome! Thank you!