SOLVED

Sending out unique Discount Codes

Go to solution
Patrick_Vesely1
Level 1

Sending out unique Discount Codes

I am looking for ideas / suggestions / recommendations for the following situation. 

We are setting up a Marketo program where a lead will fill out a form and in the flow, they will receive a KickBack email.  In the Kickback email, we want to include a Unique Discount Code - every lead would get 1 code.

I see the Referral Offer campaign - is this the best option?  

any advice would be great.

Patrick Vesely
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Sending out unique Discount Codes

Hi Patrick,

If you look back, there are quite a few discussions of this from the past, and the takeaways are still the same today.

If you're willing to have one discount code per Lead, ever — not one code per Program Member, i.e. Lead-Program combo — then you can use the Marketo Unique Code field, which already exists on every lead.

If you need unique Program Member codes, it gets more complicated.

The most robust way to do this is to use a webhook-compatible service that can pop unique codes off a "stack" — a file you store in Design Studio.  

As a kind of quirky-but-cool substitute, you might create a unique code to identify your Program (I would say to use the Program ID, but that might be leaked at some point in a URL, so best practices would say no to that).  Store that code in a {{my.token}}. Then, using Velocity, send someone the XOR of that {{my.token}} and their {{lead.Marketo Unique Code}}. The code would be something they'd never be able to figure out on their own, that is, even if they knew somebody else's email address, they couldn't generate a valid discount code.

EDIT: I'm going to be talking about this technique on one of my slides for MOPSCON this year, FYI!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Hi Patrick,

If you look back, there are quite a few discussions of this from the past, and the takeaways are still the same today.

If you're willing to have one discount code per Lead, ever — not one code per Program Member, i.e. Lead-Program combo — then you can use the Marketo Unique Code field, which already exists on every lead.

If you need unique Program Member codes, it gets more complicated.

The most robust way to do this is to use a webhook-compatible service that can pop unique codes off a "stack" — a file you store in Design Studio.  

As a kind of quirky-but-cool substitute, you might create a unique code to identify your Program (I would say to use the Program ID, but that might be leaked at some point in a URL, so best practices would say no to that).  Store that code in a {{my.token}}. Then, using Velocity, send someone the XOR of that {{my.token}} and their {{lead.Marketo Unique Code}}. The code would be something they'd never be able to figure out on their own, that is, even if they knew somebody else's email address, they couldn't generate a valid discount code.

EDIT: I'm going to be talking about this technique on one of my slides for MOPSCON this year, FYI!

kevinkurtz
Level 1

Hi @SanfordWhiteman - Thanks for posting this info. I'm curious if you could elaborate on which webhook-compatible service could be used to pop unique codes off a "stack" as you mentioned?

Thanks,

Kevin

Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@kevinkurtz ,

@SanfordWhiteman can't tell you which webhook service he'd recommend, as he wrote it and community guidelines don't allow self promotion.  

The tool to use for this FlowBoost (http://flowboost.tk/).

It's awesome, and allows you to do all kinds of black magic!

Cheers

Jo