SOLVED

Re: Sending an email exactly x days after an event

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sending an email exactly x days after an event

Hello-

I was trying to send follow-up emails after certain events (not filling out a form/ not interacting with a former email).

Is this possible? I wasn't able to find a a solution in prior questions.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grace_Brebner3
Level 10

All good Terminology can catch us!

Let's call it "lead activity" for the sake of clarity. From your original question, it sounds to me like what you're looking for is an absense of a desired lead activity. When you don't know the date of something, you want to use a trigger campaign. So for your two scenarios (not filling out a form, not interacting with an email) I'd look to do something like this:

A:

• Smart list trigger: Visits web page (webpage is X) + any refining filters
  • Flow step: 1. Wait x minutes/days, 2. Send email - Choice 1: if not filled out form Y, send email A; Default: Do Nothing.

B:

• Smart list trigger: Email is Delivered (Email is X) + any refining filters
  • Flow step: 1. Wait x minutes/days, 2. Send email - Choice 1: if not clicked/opened email X, send email Y; Default: Do Nothing.

You can't trigger on something not happening, but you can trigger on a precursor activity - basically, you want to find what that activity is, trigger on that, and then wait a period that you should reasonably expect the next activity to have happened in, and action your flow steps if that activity is not recorded within the reasonable period.

Make sense? Hopefully that answers your question

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Kristin_McKenna
Level 4

Robert, you can use a batch smart campaign in your event program. Build a new campaign, select your audience in the smart list, and set up the flow to send the specific email. Then in the schedule tab of the campaign, you can choose to run the campaign later and select the specific date to be the number of days post event as desired. Because the event date is known, you can build and schedule this campaign as far in advance as you need - just make sure your email content is ready in time for the send.

You can see this set up in the best practice program for Live Event and for Webinar, which you can import from the Program Library.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your answer! Unfortunately the event date is unknow, since we promote the event with an online and I can't foresee the date people interact with that ad. Any ideas?

Grace_Brebner3
Level 10

Hey Robert - when you say ​event​, do you mean it in the sense of webinar/tradeshow/live event, or do you mean in the sense of ​lead ​activity​ - like referring to a digital ad click as an ​event​?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Grace-

you are absolutely right, that was misleading.

I was talking about your second case. That is why we do not know the actual date.

Balkar_Singh
Level 9 - Champion

Would suggest to use a smart list with the criteria of events which you wanted to happen - e.g. Fills out form (define this in a smart list - say, XYZ) Possibly you want to send a follow-up to prospects who qualify for a second try. Reference the first try (the campaign via which you first sent them an email - Email 1) and then request another campaign, which has a wait step and a flow step which refers a choice - Member of Smart List (Not In) - XYZ, Send Email 2 - if you want to set this up whenever you run the batch.

If you have already run the batch, create a new campaign, add the filters - member of smart campaign via which you sent the previous email AND member of smart list not in XYZ, and define the flow to send Email 2

Hope I interpreted it correctly and it helps!

Grace_Brebner3
Level 10

All good Terminology can catch us!

Let's call it "lead activity" for the sake of clarity. From your original question, it sounds to me like what you're looking for is an absense of a desired lead activity. When you don't know the date of something, you want to use a trigger campaign. So for your two scenarios (not filling out a form, not interacting with an email) I'd look to do something like this:

A:

• Smart list trigger: Visits web page (webpage is X) + any refining filters
  • Flow step: 1. Wait x minutes/days, 2. Send email - Choice 1: if not filled out form Y, send email A; Default: Do Nothing.

B:

• Smart list trigger: Email is Delivered (Email is X) + any refining filters
  • Flow step: 1. Wait x minutes/days, 2. Send email - Choice 1: if not clicked/opened email X, send email Y; Default: Do Nothing.

You can't trigger on something not happening, but you can trigger on a precursor activity - basically, you want to find what that activity is, trigger on that, and then wait a period that you should reasonably expect the next activity to have happened in, and action your flow steps if that activity is not recorded within the reasonable period.

Make sense? Hopefully that answers your question

Anonymous
Not applicable

That is exactly what I was looking for!

Thank you so much!

Grace_Brebner3
Level 10

Hey Robert Grossekathoefer@reliaslearning.de, glad to hear it

Feel free to mark that response as correct so this thread shows as resolved!