Re: Send email to alternate email address

Anonymous
Not applicable

Send email to alternate email address

Is it possible to send a Marketo email to a leads email address and alternate email address if they have one?
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Alyssa-
You may be able to do this with a token and the send alert feature.  Send email should always send to Email Address (primary) but if you used a program or system token like {{lead.secondaryemailaddress}}, you should be able to "Send An Alert" and select Other (not lead owner or account owner) and insert the token value there.  The thing you'd have to test would be if the default value of the token is NULL, does it even try to email to blank value (probably not since that is a system limit) if the Secondary Email Address field is blank as well.

Hope this helps - maybe others have figured out a way!

Thanks,
Brigid
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Brigid, I tried using "Send Alert" and inserted token {{lead.Alternate Email}} into value field but doesn't seem to work. Tried it on 2 SFDC contact records I use for testing purposes where I'm listed as the alternate address and alert  never reached my inbox. 

Has anyone had success with this?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Completely off the top of my head and untested ...

Have a 2nd email smart campaign with smartlist that selects the original list and filters to those with non-blank alternate email field.

Then, the Flow would first swap the alternate email field and the Email Address, send the email, swap them back.  You probably need a 3rd field to hold the main email address.

temp_email <-- Email Address

Email Address <-- Alternate Address

Send the email

Email Address <-- temp_email

maybe you need a couple of Wait steps to let the values update? 

And maybe you need multiple campaigns one to temp change Email Address, one to send, one to reset the Email Address?

Worth the experiment 😉

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Probably pretty dangerous

If the lead comes to a web page and fills out a form with the first email address while the second is in the email field, Marketo will create a second lead...

The send alert should work if you i,nsert the token in the "Other" field of the send alert flow step.

-Greg