SOLVED

Send Myself Alert but Only Once

Go to solution
Karyn_Hill
Level 4

Send Myself Alert but Only Once

I would like to have a program send me an alert when a webinar is over so that I can perform a manual action. I would like it to be sent only once, and not send it each time a person for the webinar is marked as Attended. Is this possible?

My current guess is that I should add the Send Alert action to the end of the program that marks people as having attended the webinar and I've come up with the options below. I have a feeling this isn't going to work as I hope but I haven't been able to think of anything else.

Send_Alert_Once.PNG

Edit: I should have asked for the best way to be notified when a campaign ends.

Message was edited by: Karyn Hill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Send Myself Alert but Only Once

Well of course, if you *know* some record will have attended, that's implicitly your Resource Lead.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
SanfordWhiteman

Nope, that won't work. The alert is sent in the context of the lead, not the alert recipient, so that's checking to see if that lead has sent the alert yet.

This kind of cross-lead coordination requires a webhook. Not necessarily an external webhook -- you can call the forms /save endpoint for another lead (i.e. a lead with your email address, serving as a "resource lead") -- but some kind of 'hook.

Karyn_Hill
Level 4

I'll read up on webhooks and see what I can make happen.

Thanks for the answer!

Carlito_Jay_Ala
Level 2

This is the time where we hope Marketo could add in an option to send notification when a campaign has completed running. One workaround is using Random Sample in your choice step for Send Alert. Choice 1 would be Random Sample is 99 then do Nothing. Default, send alert to you. This way you will only be able to receive few alerts instead of being spammed. So if you have 100 records running thru your campaign, you could only receive 1 alert for that.

stmpjmpr
Karyn_Hill
Level 4

In trying to find how to use Random Sample (I've not seen it before), I wondered if the below configuration would work. I'm still going to figure out the Random Sample thing, but if I put in the email address of our facilitator, who will definitely be marked as having attended, do you think this will work? I have nothing against Sanford's solution but Marketo is only a part of my job and I've never had time to look into webhooks. I know I need to but something else is always more urgent.

Send_Alert_Once_2.PNG

SanfordWhiteman

Well of course, if you *know* some record will have attended, that's implicitly your Resource Lead.

Karyn_Hill
Level 4

I'm a bit annoyed at myself for not having thought of it. But yes, there's always a facilitator, and that person will always be marked as having attended. I'll have to manually go find who that is and then get their email address but it'll work for now. Until I can finally get around to learning how to use webhooks. That seems like the right way to do it, rather than this manual workaround. In too many places, I'm twisting the way Marketo is intended to work to suit the way we do certain things. If anyone else has to take over before I get things straightened out, they'll be very confused!

SanfordWhiteman

Random Sample doesn't work reliably as a bucketing algorithm for trigger campaigns. Only for batch campaigns.

Karyn_Hill
Level 4

Thanks again for your answer. Hopefully they'll come up with a way to let us know when a campaign is over. And I'll learn more about the ways to make it work until that happens.