Selecting an Nth of a file - Please help ASAP

Anonymous
Not applicable

Selecting an Nth of a file - Please help ASAP

Hi,

Need some help on this.  I'm creating a smart campaign to select an NTH of a static list to mail over the course of several days.  I want to be able to mail new names from that list over consecutive days, without repeating people that received a message the day before.  Eventually all should be mailed from that list at least once.  Here's what I have so far:

WHO:  Member of List:  List Name

What:  If Random Sample is 5% then email:  EMAIL Design Concept X

Default Choice: Do Nothing

When:

Campaign Status:  Not Run

Smart List Mode:  Batch (shouldn't it be Trigger??)

Smart List Status:  Affecting XXXX people

Smart List Reoccurrence: 

Repeats every weeks on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday

End date:Oct 13, 2017

Next three runs:

Oct 10, 2017 12:35 PM EDT

Oct 11, 2017 12:35 PM EDT

Oct 12, 2017 12:35 PM EDT

In any response can you please include screenshots of how I should adjust the format/setup?  What might I be doing wrong?  This would be so much easier if Marketo had a Throttling option for email sends.  I'm hoping this approach will work.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Dave
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Selecting an Nth of a file - Please help ASAP

Hi Dave,

As with many things Marketo, there are a few different ways to accomplish this. Based on the setup you have described below, the path of least resistance is to add two flow steps to your campaign. The first flow step you're looking for is "Wait"... give it a few minutes. The second flow step you're looking for is "Remove from Flow" with a constraint of "Was Sent Email" or "Was Delivered Email".

Basically, what you need to do is to wait a few minutes for the email to be sent/delivered (wait time should be determined by the number of people you're sending to) and then removing anyone that received the email from the flow so that they can't be sent the email a second time.

The results of this are, the first send will pull a random sample of your starting list. The next send will pull a random sample from the 95% remaining, and so on. It essentially creates a waterfall type of effect where the list you're pulling the random sample from slowly decreases after each send.

Make sense? Let me know if you have any other questions/concerns. Thanks!

Drew

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Drew,

How does this look?

Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 12.47.35 PM.png

Is there anything that I need to think about on the Smartlist or Schedule side/tabs?

Also will I need to repeat any of the steps underneath the Remove From Flow section above (another random sample @ a certain % or is it smart enough to run until the list is completed?)

Thanks.

Dave

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I agree with Drew that that's one way to do it, but I have a particular dislike for arbitrary/approximate wait steps and believe waits should only be used for positive purposes, i.e. waiting 7 days to send a follow-up email. The other problem is as you winnow down the list you have to constantly recalibrate the percentages, it won't be 20% followed by 20% because your population has grown smaller so the percentage needs to be higher to send to the same count.

My way of approaching this would be a single Add to List step with choices for each random sample (i.e. 20, 20, 20, 20, Default where N = 5) that adds to N lists. Then those lists are immediately ready for sending independently.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sanford,

Since I'm more of a visual learner would you be able to share a screen capture in your reply as to what that would look like?

Thanks

Dave

SanfordWhiteman

pastedImage_0.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Sanford.

For List Name:  That is the same list over and over again in these 25% subsections right?

Also when running these campaigns you're focusing on just the volume of the send bucket not any sort of subject line testing etc?

SanfordWhiteman

For List Name: That is the same list over and over again in these 25% subsections right?

No, they're different lists (how would it work with the same list?).

Also when running these campaigns you're focusing on just the volume of the send bucket not any sort of subject line testing etc?

You can do whatever else you want. The point is that to divide a source list into N buckets you add to 100/N lists. Technically speaking here the randomization is irrelevant, it might as well be "Rounded Slice" instead of "Random Sample" but there's only one relevant feature.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sanford,

Thanks for the update.  I'm not sure the list add would work then in this scenario.  What I'm trying to accomplish is to mail smaller volumes of a specific list across several days.  I already have the static list in Marketo but now looking for a way to take a % of the list to mail.  For example, let's say the list is at 1,000 records, I want to mail 200 records on Monday, another 200 on Tuesday, another 200 on Wednesday, Thurs and Friday.  By the time I reach Friday that list is done and I can create a new campaign or start with a new list.

Make sense?

Thanks for your patience with this, much appreciated.

SanfordWhiteman

Thanks for the update. I'm not sure the list add would work then in this scenario.

Thought I explained exactly how it would work for this scenario.

There's no such feature as "Send to % of an existing list" without doing anything else.

There's only:

• Send to a % and then remove from flow and then send to some higher % of remainder and then remove and then send to some even higher % of remainder and then remove, etc.
  • Split the list into exact N lists of % percent each and send to each list.