Re: Select first option from a picklist that comes from Salesforce into Marketo

Ben_Cooper
Level 2

Select first option from a picklist that comes from Salesforce into Marketo

Building out a smart campaign that includes a multi-select picklist from Salesforce that is ultimately a string in Marketo. Values in the Marketo string field are separated by semicolons. I am trying to build a smart list that will select the first value in the field and ignore the rest. Is there a way to do this?

4 REPLIES 4
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Ben,

Not sure I understand. You mean you want to use a multi-valued field that is an SFDC pickling for a filter in a smart campaign ?

In that case, just use the "contains" operator to get all the persons which have selected at least the value you are looking for (the first one).

-Greg

Ben_Cooper
Level 2

Sorry, I should have been more thorough in my explanation.

We have three streams in an engagement program that we place customers into according to type. In this case, I'll hypothetically use the model type of their car. The field has the choices of sedan, hatchback, pickup, and compact. Most customers only have one type of car. However, some have two or more car types and it's displayed with both in the field. I want Marketo to choose only the first car from the field and place them into the corresponding stream in the engagement program for only that choice. I am trying to avoid the customer from landing into two streams because they have two choices.

E.g.

Customer A has a sedan and hatchback. Sedan is the first selection in the list and hatchback is the second in the same list. A smart list would place them into the Sedan stream and prevent the customer from landing in both streams (Sedan and hatchback).

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Ben,

It physically impossible a for a person in Marketo to belong to 2 streams in the same engagement program.

This being said, treat the multi-value field as a text field and use a "Type contains Sedan" filter

-Greg

Ben_Cooper
Level 2

Thanks. Just curious. How would Marketo handle somebody if they are arriving via Salesforce and the same field has two entries in the field? Does it by default select the first field. Considering there is a smart campaign for each separate value in the field to place them in the appropriate stream.