SOLVED

Re: Segments not working

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Segments not working

Hello, Community!

I am using lead segments simply for grouping leads to filter by. When we generate send lists, have quite a bit of criteria we need to filter by and instead, I have created segments with all the necessary filters to ensure that the specific filters we need do not get forgotten; and just for ease of building. One of my segments is based on Lead Ownership. Within my segment, there are 7 groups (8 including the default: however, I am hoping that no one falls into this group). I have it set up by teams, so CSMs, SDRs, AEs, Marketing, etc.

What's happening, though, is that with one segment is not recognizing the filters in the smart list. Specifically, the CSM segment. It is a simple set up: Lead Owner Last Name = (the CSM's last name). A lot of these are going into the Default segment and I can not figure out why. The names in the CSM smart list exist in none of the other smart lists in the other groups contained in this segment. Does anyone have an idea or has experienced this before?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

I saw this bug several times when I was at Marketo and every time, it required engineering to do a fix for that specific client. The root cause was never isolated and fixed that I saw. Typically it seems to be the result of a data value change not triggering a segmentation update. I drastically reduced my usage of segmentations as a result (only using them for dynamic content) and moved to using lists as an intermediary in some cases if I had to use a segmentation.

Forcing a recalculation by creating and approving a draft should get you a temporary fix, as was mentioned above.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Rachel_Noble
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Hi Franklin,

Not sure if this is related, but it wouldn't surprise me. I submitted a support ticket this morning because some of my segments aren't working. For example, let's say I have a segmentation with segments A, B, C, D, and Default (prioritized in that order). When I create a draft of the segmentation and don't change any of the smart list criteria, leads will sometimes show up in the People tabs of segments B and C, but then when I approve the draft, they fall under segment C instead of segment B.

Support has not yet resolved this issue or provided an explanation. Will keep you updated.

Rachel

Chris_Saporito
Level 9

I've run into a similar situation as well. One segmentation is looking at a group of zip codes and at first we were seeing some people fall through because I was not using "Contains" which allowed the ones with 4 additional digits to go into default. But now I still see a few that match the zip code segmentation perfectly and still get put into the default segment. Marketo Support has looked at this a few times and has not really given me a great answer. Although, a lot of the times the segmentation will reset on its own and they go into the correct segmentation.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I saw this bug several times when I was at Marketo and every time, it required engineering to do a fix for that specific client. The root cause was never isolated and fixed that I saw. Typically it seems to be the result of a data value change not triggering a segmentation update. I drastically reduced my usage of segmentations as a result (only using them for dynamic content) and moved to using lists as an intermediary in some cases if I had to use a segmentation.

Forcing a recalculation by creating and approving a draft should get you a temporary fix, as was mentioned above.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried to force reset the segments already as you suggested, but with no success. I did submit a ticket with support and they have escalated it since it is a bug. The engineering team is currently working on the fix. Hopefully, we will be up and running soon.

Rachel_Noble
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Same here. Support created a draft and approved it and told me it was fixed - that's great, it worked for the examples I sent over. But now there are tons of new ones... I hope there's a resolution to this soon or we will have to find an alternative to using segments for feeding our lifecycle