Re: Segmenting a portion of email copy

Matt_Stone2
Level 9

Segmenting a portion of email copy

I'm creating a series of simple emails in which I just want one paragraph of several to utilize segmentation.

For example, my email might look like this:

Hi {{lead.First Name}},

Lorem ipsum.

Duis luctus diam in metus porta, sit amet placerat odio interdum.

Praesent non dapibus est. Nunc facilisis quis quam ut iaculis.

Sincerely,

And I'd like to change the second paragraph based on the lead's segmentation. Rather than include ALL of the body copy in the segmentation, I was hoping just to do that particular line, so that if I need to make global copy changes to the rest of the email, I wouldn't have to do it for each segment.

My solution was to create three blocks of copy, (e.g. <td class="mktEditable" id="Block1">,<td class="mktEditable" id="Block2">,<td class="mktEditable" id="Block3">), but this creates a bunch of problems when trying to make it all match up and flow like one block in different email clients.

So, I figured I would see if the community has attempted this to any success. I'm starting to feel like just updating the entire copy for each segment is easier than all this hassle...
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Matt,

The only way I have heard of solving this issue is the method you outlined, with multiple blocks of editable sections. Kind of a pain, I'm sure.

One idea would be to create a template with the messaging hard coded in it, and just have one editable section in the middle. This way you still can use segmentation and snippets, and if you ever want to make a change to the 1st or 3rd paragraphs, you just need to make one change to the template. No idea how that will work with the aesthetics of the email, but just a thought.
Kim_Allen
Level 10

I agree with Jeff. This is the way I'd do it with the template.
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you use are using segmentation in your emails, you do not have to update every segment with content.  If you put content into the "default" segment, it will propagate into all segments, allowing you to only edit it once.  You can then change the content for all the segments in the second paragraph as you have stated.