Re: Segmentation examples: How do you segment your leads?

Leanne_Persang
Level 4

Segmentation examples: How do you segment your leads?

We currently have two lead segmentations in place: Audience Type and Geographical. However, I'd like to create some more (for reporting purposes and for the dynamic content feature), but was curious how you all segment your leads... and what has been most useful. Thanks in advance!

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Leanne,

We usually implement:

• Relationship to the vendor (prospects, clients, ex-client, partners, influencers, not a lead) or something similar
  • Market segments if they correspond to different offering

-Greg

Rachel_Noble
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Hi Leanne,

Similar to Greg's suggestion, we segment our leads based on the product they're most likely to be interested in. We also segment leads by persona (which is really just a more robust breakdown of our product segmentation).

Since segments allow us to utilize dynamic content, we rely on them for other things like Job Title Category, Department, Industry, Company Size etc as well.

Rachel

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

It really depends on what you need. Common ones I do:

• Emailability segments like Not Emailable, Seedlists, Ok to Email (by general Marketo standards, because Regions may have different rules)
    • btw,  a neat trick I built is a "Seedlist Member=T" flag in Marketo. Any internal or test emails like for Litmus are marked in a Static List and with SeedList Member=T. Then I make sure that Segments above Seedlists ignore SeedList Members, so that those leads fall into specific Seedlist Segments like
      • SeedList Litmus
      • Seedlist 250ok
      • internal Seedlist
      • then I use those flags to add people to engagements (but not remove them) and to run single campaigns to test emails with those services. Then those leads don't get removed or added to a campaign accidentally.
  • Region or Country
  • Business Unit
  • Lifecycle/Record Type: Customer, Former Customer, Partner, Lifecycle Stage
  • Legal Country vs. Sales Ownership: sometimes the rules for Sales differ from legal country for email or contact use.
  • Sales Territory (but I would avoid this one most of the time)
  • Language (ideal if you are doing a full international roll out)

Be careful because you only get 20 segmentations and 100 segments, and it's a bit of a pain to redo Segments in Draft. Once a segmentation gets built into your workflows and then you modify it, you can easily break a lot of things. We were going to redo our Not Emailable segmentation, but then realized the NEW rules were so different, we were better off with a fully new Segmentation. But our Country Ownership rules only moved leads around slightly and would err on the side of removing leads from existing systems, so it was ok to modify.

BTW, there *was* a bug on re-approving drafted segmentations, and it was fixed on Dec 15 or so and it did work.

Leanne_Persang
Level 4

Thanks for your responses - helped me to build up our segmentation lists!