Re: Segment By Device

Anonymous
Not applicable

Segment By Device

Guys,

Wondering if it is possible to create a Marketo Segment for Mobile vs Desktop so that subject lines can be dynamic by device?

It's possible on Hubspot. Anyone ever done on Marketo?

5 REPLIES 5
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi David,

If you are talking about dynamic content, you could set up a mechanic so that you store the device last used by a lead in a lead field and then use it to create a segmentation. Finally, you will be able to use that segmentation to create a dynamic subject line. But I do not think this will do the trick as this is static and a lead might open one email on mobile and the second one on a desktop. So you would make things a little more sophisticated, trying to determine if each leads tend to open more frequently on a device type or another. and it's IMHO a never ending challenge.

I would prefer something that determines the subject line dynamically on the device, depending on the device, but I am not sure this is even possible in email clients.

What is Hubspot real capability on this?

-Greg

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I would prefer something that determines the subject line dynamically one the device, depending on the device, but I am not sure this is even possible in email clients.

It's not.

Anyone claiming to be able to do this is just using (like you said) some heuristics about which devices the person has used in the past. There's no magic that can make the subject line of the same email adjust after sending.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Thanks

This is hat I thought, but not 100% sure.

-Greg

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I wrote about how to create those segmented lists. As Sanford noted, it is wildly inaccurate and based on history. It is also terribly slow.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Josh, just so you know, of course wasn't addressing your lists as claiming anything, but the SaaS provider claims.