SOLVED

Seeing the Snippet a Lead Saw at a Point in Time?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seeing the Snippet a Lead Saw at a Point in Time?

I have an email and a coordinating landing page that use dynamic content based on a lead's product mix. Their product mix can fluctuate on a regular basis. 

I'd really like to see what dynamic content snippet a person saw at a certain point in time when the landing page was viewed or when the email was sent.  Since their product mix could change, what segmentation group the lead falls into today is not indicative of what snippet they might have seen a month ago when they saw the landing page or email.

Is it possible to view this in the person's activity log or in a report? 

If not, does anyone have suggestions on a good way to bucket or flag these people, so we can later look at snippets they have seen in the past?

Thanks for your help & advice!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Casey_Grimes
Level 10

Re: Seeing the Snippet a Lead Saw at a Point in Time?

Hi Betsy,

I suppose the question is how you're determining the lead's product mix--is this done through a segmentation (seeing as you're saying "dynamic content snippet") or using RTP to have the content swapped out? Either way, you're going to be using some sort of lead data changes to determine what particular product mix they should be receiving.

In terms of retroactive tracking, it'll be a bit painful depending on how complex your product mix is (are we talking 3-6 possible offerings? 10? 100?) but you can work backwards up using Data Value Changed (only good for the past 90 days) and Segment Changed (which I believe is tracked through the entire lifespan of the record.)

However, to prevent this pain again, I'd highly recommend setting up a smart campaign that records an interesting moment when the product mix changes to a new combination, so you'll have something to filter against both in terms of history and reporting.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Betsy Pruitt​ FYI. I moved your post to the Products and Support

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Scott!

Casey_Grimes
Level 10

Hi Betsy,

I suppose the question is how you're determining the lead's product mix--is this done through a segmentation (seeing as you're saying "dynamic content snippet") or using RTP to have the content swapped out? Either way, you're going to be using some sort of lead data changes to determine what particular product mix they should be receiving.

In terms of retroactive tracking, it'll be a bit painful depending on how complex your product mix is (are we talking 3-6 possible offerings? 10? 100?) but you can work backwards up using Data Value Changed (only good for the past 90 days) and Segment Changed (which I believe is tracked through the entire lifespan of the record.)

However, to prevent this pain again, I'd highly recommend setting up a smart campaign that records an interesting moment when the product mix changes to a new combination, so you'll have something to filter against both in terms of history and reporting.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much, Courtney Grimes!  We're using segmentation for the dynamic content snippet right now.  RTP is our next Marketo frontier! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Betsy Pruitt​, Courtney Grimes​' suggestion/advice is correct. There's not an easy way to see what variation they saw without proactively tracking it. Interesting moments are a good idea, you can also set up a more complex system by creating a custom field that tracks all of the segments a member is a part of, using integers to represent each variation. Interesting moments is a great, easy way to track. You could also add them to lists to track also..

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for confirming, Allison Sparrow​!  I hadn't even considered using interesting moments...glad you and Courtney responded!