Scrambling to comply with the Canada Anti-spam Law? Here's our implementation plan at Serena Software

Anonymous
Not applicable

Scrambling to comply with the Canada Anti-spam Law? Here's our implementation plan at Serena Software

I prepared this for internal and external use so you will encounter links to smart campaigns that you will not be able to access, but the corresponding screenshots will show the smart list and flow actions within. 

https://www.mediafire.com/?zp8djdz69dg4672

I also recommend watching this Marketo webinar. It was the only way I discovered the implied consent exceptions that are so key to maintaining contact with the majority of our Canadian contacts. 

http://www.marketo.com/webinars/getting-ready-for-the-canadian-anti-spam-legislation??utm_source=mar...

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Scrambling to comply with the Canada Anti-spam Law? Here's our implementation plan at Serena Software

Thank you for sharing this! Well thought out and extremely helpful.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Scrambling to comply with the Canada Anti-spam Law? Here's our implementation plan at Serena Software

Thanks for sharing this! How are you handling the transition period specified in section 66? 

Under section 66, consent to send commercial electronic messages (CEMs) is implied for a period of 36 months beginning July 1, 2014, where there is an existing business or non-businessrelationship that includes the communication of CEMs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Shad,

Due to my company's security settings, I cannot follow your link you posted. But, I am very curious to see how you rolled this out. Can you email me the information/screenshots? joymartinez@solutionary.com.

Thank you in advance!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Joy. I just emailed you a Word doc. Look for an email from skhan@serena.com and let me know if it doesn't get through. I can send it to a personal email address if necessary.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for sharing Shad! This is extremely helpful!

One question that I am trying to figure out is if it is necessary to implement a marketing suspended date field so that we're CASL compliant? I know marketo keeps a log of when the record gets suspended which will be archived after 90 days. Any cons from not having the additional marketing suspended date field to go along with the marketing suspended checkbox?

Agnes

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great question. It turns out we do have a custom Marketing Suspended Date field and we have a smart campaign that populates "today's date" if the Marketing Suspended field gets checked (set to True). This all predates any of the CASL functionality I set up so if I didn't address it in this document my thoughts are that it probably isn't required from an administrative standpoint, it is probably a good idea to have this in place for a potential audit. The smart campaign is simple enough to set up and won't interfere with any aspects of your operation.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shad, thank you for sharing the webinar. Slide #13 discusses a few opt-in ideas. Just curious to see what marketing opt-in tactics others are using?
Anonymous
Not applicable

For those having trouble accessing the document, it's now available from our Marketo instance at http://info.serena.com/rs/serena1/images/Serena-Implementation-of-Canada-Anti-Spam-Law-Requirements-...