Re: Scoring Field Mapped From Lead to Account

Christopher_Chi
Level 1

Scoring Field Mapped From Lead to Account

I have a field "Portfolio Majority" I am using that is mapped from the Lead to Account, where we only want to score specific values in the pick list and giving the person +1 in demographic score.

Trying to figured out if this should be mapped from the lead to contact instead? It's been a while since I have set up scoring but don't recall running into issues with Lead to Account mapped fields.

When an ALREADY EXISTING lead gets converted to a contact on an account that has a value in "Portfolio Majority" we want to give that person +1 in demographic score, however the trigger setup below does not catch that. There is a trigger for "Is Converted" but believe that is for the Marketo side only and will not work if a BDR converts the lead and attaches them to the account that has a value in "Portfolio Majority".

Score_Majority.png

8 REPLIES 8
Floyd_Alvares2
Level 8

Hi Christopher,

What CRM are you using?

I would recommend the mapping always be Lead to Contact. If you don't then during the conversion process there maybe loss of data - unless you are already mapping the information to the contact?

If your CRM is SFDC or Microsoft Dynamics, you can leverage the fields "SFDC Type" or "Microsoft Type" to determine if they have been changed from a Lead to Contact. Also the trigger "Lead/Person is Converted" should apply as this conversion process only happens in the CRM (SFDC or MSD) and is then reflected in Marketo.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Floyd

Christopher_Chi
Level 1

Thanks Floyd, we are on SFDC Enterprise.

Just so I have a full understanding if a lead is converted, does marketo have the ability to score the person based on a value that is on the account once the contact is associated to the account? If not, I will have to map lead to contact.

To me it just seems the question we are asking specifically is more Firmagraphic is nature so I mapped it from the lead to the account, but it seems this may cause an issue with Marketo being able to score in all possible scenarios.

I also feel like I get different answers on the functionality of the Data Value Change trigger, I see Marketo log a Data Value Change when an existing lead has a value inserted in a field, yet some Marketo support folks said Data Value Change only applies if there was a previous value in the field (ie: not from NULL to XYZ value), but I have tested and seen this work, Otherwise how would you score existing leads/contacts that you append new data to from either a data provider or from the person themselves providing additional info via progressive profiling form..

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Marketo, by default, cannot modify an Account field. It is read only.

Yes, you should map to Contact instead on conversion. Although your use case isn't super clear to me.

Christopher_Chi
Level 1

Thanks Josh, not trying to write to a field on the account, but if Marketo has the ability to read a field on the account so that when the lead is converted and attached to the account Marketo could see this and score the person 1pt because it knows this person is tied to an Account that is in our ICP.

Basically we are using this field "Portfolio Majority" similar to an Industry field, we only want to score people with a certain value because it is a quality measure of an MQL.

Thanks,

Chris

Floyd_Alvares2
Level 8

Hi Christopher,

Yes Marketo can read the values on the account field when the lead has been converted to a contact and attached to that account. You could run something like

Data Value Changes "SFDC Type" Or "Lead is Converted" triggers along with "Portfolio Majority" = something, and Marketo should be able to pick up this value and change your firmographic score accordingly.

I would suggest running a test if you find that you are not seeing the same results.

Thanks

Floyd

Christopher_Chi
Level 1

Thanks Floyd, I ran a test before starting the discussion in which I was not triggered - I then submitted a ticket from support and below was the answer I got, which made me really think this was not possible. Sounds like the statement below is not accurate, but still haven't tracked down why my test did not score when converted to the account. Will dig further. Am I missing anything here based on the below?

The lead will not be scored for data change value and it will not be triggered for a lead that has a blank value in a field which is mapped from the lead to the account, even if the account has a value, this does not make changes and doesn't cause Data change value trigger to work. The trigger "Data change value" will work only if the current field value is updates/changed. This is the reason the lead was not triggered for the flow step.

Floyd_Alvares2
Level 8

Hi Christopher,

I believe this is what support is saying.

Your field "Portfolio Majority" sits on the Account object. When you are converting the lead and attaching this lead to an account. The field value for "Portfolio Majority" does not change - therefore the trigger "Data Value Changes" will not be triggered.

What you need to be looking is for when the Lead has been converted into a contact and attached to an account. You cannot convert a Lead into an Account. It has to be converted into a Contact and attached to an existing account or added to a new account.

I would suggest re-looking at your smart campaign and potentially test it with "Lead is Converted" OR "Data Value Changes and SFDC Type = Contact". In the flow step you can add the " Change Score" with choice steps such as if "Portfolio Majority" is A, change score to 10, if Portfolio Majority is B change score to 20, default - do nothing or change to 5).

Try this and see if it works. Also do refer to your activity log - a great source of information to identify information on fields that have their data value changed.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Floyd

Christopher_Chi
Level 1

Hi Floyd, gave that a try with the updated triggers, here is a screen shot of the activity log from the time of conversion going forward. The Test Account that I was converted on to has a value of Portfolio Majority = Primarily Office.

It seems very inefficient to me to ask every person in a form to give us this information if we can map a field from the lead to account, (we only need 1 person to tell us this if we map from lead to account) then anytime a person is converted or added to that account via zoominfo import for example, that the contacts would get scored for having an attribute related to the account since Marketo can at least Read the field values on an account.

I really feel I am missing something here, if I really have to map this from lead to contact I will - just seems inefficient. People score things all the time like # of Employees, Industry, etc that are Lead to Account mapped type of fields.

Converted.png

Here is the trigger I used:

Updated Trigger.png