Re: Save utm parameters per program

Berta_Menéndez
Level 2

Save utm parameters per program

Currently if a lead is a member of different programs, we see the same utm parameters in every program e.g. the ones tied to the last interaction. I would like to know if it's possible to save the utm parameters when a lead becomes member of a program and not to change them for this program. When the lead is acquired by another program, then the new utm parameters would be displayed only in this particular program.

Thank you!

10 REPLIES 10
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I would love to see more native support of UTM parameters in Marketo. At the program level, would be ideal - instead of having to setup a bunch of custom/proxy fields, which don't even capture the full picture. 

Geoff_Krajeski1

Custom tracking (parameters) is the way we are setup.  With our recent acquisition we are using both the UTM and custom (params) due to the fact that UTM, while hooked to Google Analytics, helps to see the total traffic, whereas Marketo no longer has the Anonymous views!

Dan_Stevens_

Would love to hear more detail on this!

Jessica_Kao3

Unfortunately, the utm parameters are a property at the lead level and not of the program level so there isn't a way to freeze that info in time or to associate that with the particular program.  Depending on your goal I have used add to list to try to capture some of that information for reporting purposes later but its not ideal. 

Gerard_Donnell4
Level 10

Jessica Kao​ when you save the results to a list do they remain permanent and don't change when the fields get updated?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Gerard,

No, the fields get updated. But if you have a static list for all leads that filled out you event registration from from Linkedin, even if the field value change, the lead remains in the list.

-Greg

Gerard_Donnell4
Level 10

Thanks for the info Grégoire Michel​.  So if I want to report on 4 different lead sources I would need to create 4 static lists and a smart campaign to funnel them into the correct list.  It's hard to believe Marketo has not created a better solution to this yet.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Gerard,

there are a lot of ways to do this with Marketo. Static lists are one. Separated programs are another. Sub campaigns in SFDC (but not in Marketo) are third.

Vote for the idea above, it's exactly about this.

-Greg

Gerard_Donnell4
Level 10

Thanks for those extra ideas and just voted it up.