Sandbox refresh necessary?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sandbox refresh necessary?

Greetings!

I have a question about the sandbox refresh/update. Our sandbox hasn't been refreshed since we started using Marketo. Has anybody refreshed their sandbox? I understand from my conversations with Marketo support, that we can get it refreshed if we wish. We can also have the sandbox environment mimic the production instance with a few caveats or have an entirely clean sandobox.

Has anybody felt the need to do so?

Thanks,
Khushboo
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Rafael_Santoni1
Level 5

Re: Sandbox refresh necessary?

What do you mean by refresh/update? Marketo has a monthly release cadence where all Marketo instances get updated with the latest patches and feature enhancements. You don't need to do anything in regards to that type of update.

My team makes use of three Marketo instances (DEV, QA, and Production). At first we only had Prod and QA, and to enable a DEV instance we had Marketo essentially replicate our QA instance and the new "copy" is our new DEV instance.

On a replicated instance, all Smart Campaigns are turned off by default and none of the data gets copied over (user records). Keep that in mind if you request a new sandbox from an existing one. After that, once you do your DEV work on critical items, you can import things like programs from one instance to the other thus saving you the manual work to do everything again. Other things you have to manually bring over like files into design studio, etc.

Good luck!

Rafael
Anonymous
Not applicable

How can you copy programs tested in sandbox over to production?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Shirleen,

Ask support to connect the 2 instance and you will be able to import programs from one instance to another. Ask support to specifically establish a 2-way connection between the 2 instances.

When you import/ copy a program, you will be prompted to set a few options that will enable you to copy the necessary templates and channels.

There are some imitations, though and sometimes, the import will fail without much of an explanation. I have observed that programs which leverage a shared asset (such as a form from the design studio) do not copy well.

-Greg

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Kushboo,

There is no such in Marketo as a sandbox refresh (as you would do in salesforce).

The only thing you can do it to ask support to connect your 2 instances, so that you can import programs from one instance to another. Programs will import with them the templates and the channels, but a lot of things will have to be duplicated manually.

-Greg