Same old question - Nurturing Programs Setup Help

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same old question - Nurturing Programs Setup Help

I have read through most of the messages and the documentation too and have certain understanding of nurturing programs but still not able to get my head around this seemingly simple complex topic. Cant this made simpler or a better documentation is definitely called for.

So to the understanding.

Programs

1. You start here always with the four choices to make i.e Email, Event, Engagement & Others.
  2. They have local assets which can include smart campaigns, emails, landing pages, lists, smart lists and email programs.
  3. They give better reporting and are purpose built to show state of a member - as in got invite, registered, attended - in the case of a webinar and hence customisable.
  4. Has sync options with Salesforce campaigns - SF campaigns = Marketo Programs

Smart Campaign

1. As per documentation is the engine of the car and Programs are the most useful entities. Could have been body of the car for easier analogy.
  2. Can have triggers, smart lists, flows, and reporting around an email
  3. Smart campaigns are always emails and hence not a fit for webinars, or any other campaigns that have integration to the web such as sweepstakes etc.

Am I right or wrong ?

Now the scenario;

The company in question has web sales for 4 product lines. They get dropped transactions and have a list of such customers coming in every day.

So the idea is to load this list and Marketo automatically will clear the duplicates and load to the list i created say List A.

Now a nurturing program is created with 4 streams corresponding to each product line with 4 emails each

Member dont go to adjacent streams, they enter a stream and exit the same stream.

Entry to the stream is "triggered by" a filter that reads the page visited to identify the product and also screened for travel through the flow.  Then emails are configured in the same stream 3 of them to go one after the other with a delay of 2 days. At the end of the flow in the stream the member is removed off the list to a new list - corresponding to late stage or middle stage based on CRM value of purchase of the product.

Now the question is do I need a smart campaign to trigger the list daily or will the above set up work when I add new leads to my List A.  Do transitions help to trigger a stream to start sending its first email or is it for "transitioning" only to the next stream.

Sorry for the long post and thank you for the patience if you have made it so far. Thanks in advance for the discussion, which I help other too who want to get a hang of this topic. 

4 REPLIES 4
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Re: Same old question - Nurturing Programs Setup Help

Hey Aromal, you will need a campaign (triggered or batch) that will identify that someone has been added to List A and needs to be added to your Engagement Program. The transitions are only when you want to "pull" someone into another stream.

A couple of questions I have:

• Would they ever want one person to be in nurturing for multiple programs at once? Or is this just one product that you'll be nurturing on?
  • What if someone buys mid-nurture? Is there a campaign to stop the emails and add them to the new list you've referenced?
  • If someone re-enters the nurture (if that's possible) do you want them to start at the beginning again, or only receive emails they haven't yet received?

As great as Engagement Programs are, this might be a better use case for a drip nurture, depending on your answers to the questions I've posed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

• One person at a time should be nurtured for only one product. Here the goal is completion of a sale that they dropped of midway.
  • They could be part of a totally different nurturing program i.e educational.
  • I didn't know that we need a campaign to stop and move them to a new list.
  • If they re-enter possibly depending on a period - 30 days or so - they don't need to start again from the top, if not yes.

So from our discussions so far, what I understand is to do any of the controls i,e trigger, move to another list etc, there needs to be a separate campaign - smart campaign is it ?

And transitions are only for moving between streams ?

One more question here - what's the smallest duration we can set in cadence ? And Cadence is like a schedule and it runs every week and process the members through the stream messages. There is no way to customise the delay between mails and gaps between mails are constant through out as set by cadence.

Just jotting all data points here so that the info is complete.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

In addition to what Dory says:

• Programs function as the body of the car, keeping all the parts that are related in one place.
  • Programs may also handle attribution and other reporting needs using Status and Success.
  • Smart Campaigns are just workflows or ways to act on a group of leads in a smart list. They can be used in MANY ways and should NOT be equated with just emails or just anything.
  • Programs sometimes confer special abilities: Engagement, Email Send, Event Types, and Webinars.
    • these programs are driven by smart campaigns as well.

And yes, what you want to do is better with 4 Programs with a single smart campaign with a Wait Step between each email send.

Anonymous
Not applicable

And yes, what you want to do is better with 4 Programs with a single smart campaign with a Wait Step between each email send.

How will the structure look like ?

1. Program 1 - Nurture for Product 1

2. Program 2 - Nuture for Product 2 and so on and so forth.

Smart campaign to trigger - Program 1 if the person has visited Link1 and hasn't bought a product (info from crm ), Program 2 similar and run this daily ?