SOLVED

Same Email to Duplicate Contacts in a Program

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same Email to Duplicate Contacts in a Program

Hello,

I am doing an email campaign which has same contact emails or there are contacts with same emails.

When I look at the schedule it is showing set to affect around 100 existing leads after I set up the smart campaign.

Does a person get the same email multiple times because the same email is 3 times in this 100 existing leads? If not why the count is including duplicate email addresses?

Thanks

Vipula

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Devraj_Grewal
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Same Email to Duplicate Contacts in a Program

The number of qualified leads is correct, it just means this many leads qualified for the smart campaign's smart list. The number below is how many leads are blocked from emails and those include leads that are marketing suspended, unsubscribed, or email invalid. All 100 leads will qualify, just at the actual send email flow step, only one of those leads with the duplicate email address will be sent the email, the others will skip that step and continue on in the flow.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Devraj_Grewal

Vipula,

If leads with the same email address are in an email program or the same batch smart campaign, Marketo will de-dupe automatically and only send one email to that email address.

The count for the smart campaign will always include all qualified leads because duplicates leads will still run through the same smart campaign and qualify for other flow steps, they just will not qualify for the same send email flow step and be sent the same email.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Devraj

So that means the number 100 I am looking at is wrong if Marketo auto-deduplicate the same batch. Actually, the number of leads it would affect is 98 because one email is 3 times.

Am I right?

Thanks

Devraj_Grewal

The number of qualified leads is correct, it just means this many leads qualified for the smart campaign's smart list. The number below is how many leads are blocked from emails and those include leads that are marketing suspended, unsubscribed, or email invalid. All 100 leads will qualify, just at the actual send email flow step, only one of those leads with the duplicate email address will be sent the email, the others will skip that step and continue on in the flow.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the explanation.

Alex_Baumgarten
Level 2

Does Marketo de-dupe automatically? We are having an issue where multiple contacts exist in our database that all have the same email address and we are seeing that marketo IS sending to the same email address twice, but will only send to the same contact once. This happens no matter if an email is triggered by a campaign or program or scheduled as a batch send.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

For a single batch send event, Marketo will only send to one person with each email address that qualifies for that send.

If you have more questions about this, please open a new thread in Products​.