SOLVED

Re: Same Cookie Id, Different Email Address

Go to solution
Jep_Castelein2
Level 10

@Jack: if your application is smart enough to use a Cookie ID as Lead Key for that small set of Leads but not for other Leads, then yes, you can do that. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding a small detail to Jep's clever suggestion:
the Cookie ID would be similar to id:561-HYG-937&token:_mch-marketo.com- 1258067434006-50277 

You can read the cookie using JavaScript
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please ignore this if I have missed the point but

But the simple answer is NO a new lead should not be created.

To Jack's first comment comment 

A visitor is cookied, a new lead is created via the webservice api, the lead comes back and completes another form only this time with another email address.

I am assuming a new lead is created.  However we'd like to setup a process where if the cookie id is the same, and the first email is flagged as a bad email address, that the existing lead is simply updated instead.

From the first paragraph, if the lead is submitted with the tracking cookie information then the lead is "tagged" or creates a relationship in the Marketo database between the lead record with the email address and the cookie record. This is a 1:many relationship structure as a lead can have one or more cookies but a cookie can have only one lead. 

If at some point in time later, the lead returns and fills out a form with the same tracking cookie and edits the email address, then upon submit, the lead's email address will be updated.  From my understanding, Marketo should NOT create a new lead in this situtation.  It would only do so if the lead created via the APIs did NOT pass the _mkto_trk cookie in the first place.

Just my two cents,

Cheers,
Eric
Jep_Castelein2
Level 10

Hi Eric, Marketo will never update the email address on form submission, unless you stuff the email address in a different field.  
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is that a relatively recient change because in my past life that has been availible.
Jep_Castelein2
Level 10

Not sure, I also thought it was the way you described it, until I tested it late last year. I asked around, and several people said it had always been this way. 
Mark_Emond7
Level 3

Jep - I am assuming a new lead would be created if the same individual (with a different email address) comes in through a list import instead of a form completion?
Jep_Castelein2
Level 10

@Mark: yes