Re: Same CNAME?

Lisa_Heay2
Level 3

Same CNAME?

We're moving a client from Pardot to Marketo, and they'd like to know if they can use the same CNAME they've been using for their Pardot landing pages for Marketo LPs - "go.companyname.com".  There will be about a two month overlap where they will have both Marketo active (for set up) and Pardot running until our hard cutover from one system to the other.  I think the answer is no, but wanted to confirm that before I mis-speak with the client.  Thank you! 

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

It is not possible to have the same CNAME point to two different servers.

The only way it's possible to serve pages from 2 different origins via the same hostname is if you point the CNAME to a CDN (or, generally speaking, a reverse proxy) and enforce a naming convention so a URL is explicitly tied to one server or the other, e.g. Marketo pages always start with mk_.

Lisa_Heay2
Level 3

OK - that makes sense, thanks!  What would then be the best way to redirect traffic from their old Pardot CNAME URLs to the new Marketo CNAME LPs?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I don't know the "best" way (being blissfully Pardot-unaware) but if they don't have a global redirect-this-page-to-a-page-with-the-same-name-and-query-params-under-this-other-hostname setting, you can do it by injecting a JavaScript snippet into the <head> of your page/template.