Salesforce Sync

Denise_Valles
Level 3

Salesforce Sync

Any recommendations on how to stop salesforce from syncing every lead/contact?

My company keeps customer records so we need to keep the information on the Salesforce side but  some of the contacts information is no longer current.

We do have a dedicated salesforce account for Marketo but we would do not want to hide any leads/contacts from this user.

I would appreciate any ideas or resources, thanks!

Tags (1)
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Salesforce Sync

Why not hide them, if you don't want to sync them?

Support can sometimes stop the syncing on our end, but it depends a lot on how well those fields can be distinguished. Hiding from the sync user will always be the fastest way to do it.
Denise_Valles
Level 3

Thank you Erik, we recently added a manager who is using the account and needs access to all records.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm, I see. So it's not really a dedicated user. I think you've got two options then- check with Support and see if we can do anything, or see if you can get another user account for that manager.
Denise_Valles
Level 3

I would apreciate that, thanks!

You're right, its no longer really dedicated to only Marketo. After a year, we did not really see the need so we added an employee. Of course, right now it would be helpful.

But if that is the best recommendation, maybe I will propose to get the new employee an account.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Denise, 

It is best practice that have a dedicated user for Marketo. Not only for permission setup, but also for audit purposes. It's helpful to see that it really was Marketo that edited a certain contact when you're trying to get to the bottom of an issue or bug. 

The best way to limit the contacts/leads that sync from SFDC to Pardot is to create a user that can only see specific the recors you want to sync, for example using record types. 

In order to limit the leads that sync from Marketo to SFDC, you'll want to implement business rules that look for certain data points on the Marketo lead and keep those from syncing. 

Hope this helps!
Jen 

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I agree with Jennifer, you should always try to dedicate a user to just Marketo. Are you out of licenses?

My other question is Why do you not want to sync the records? You never really gave us a reason. Your answer would help us decide how to help.

Since you are talking about preventing a contact sync, this isn't really feasible w/o preventing the Marketo user from seeing certain records. You could add a flag that says "No Sync=TRUE" and then tell Marketo User to ignore those records. This works better for syncing new leads though.

Are you concerned about space in Marketo?
Cathryn_Smalle1
Level 2

Hi,

We use a sharing rule in SFDC that only allows certain types of records to be shared with the Marketo Profile.  We used a unique license for our Marketo instance, so we were able to use the sharing rule in this manner.  Good luck!
Denise_Valles
Level 3

Thanks for all of your recommendations and information! 

Yes, the problem is the space in Marketo. We have to upgrade our plan to accomodate for the contacts that are no longer with the company.

We do have keep the contacts on Salesforce because they have taken legal training that we have to keep record and often our reps need to reference the information.

We are adding the "No Sync=TRUE" so we can try to have Marketo ignore these contacts after we delete them. Is there a particular reason why you recommend it only for syncing new leads?

Natali_Talevski
Level 4

Hello,

We are looking to do the same thing for the same reason - limited space in Marketo. I want to remove those leads that have never engaged with us but keep the records in SFDC.

Would the above work? The only query I have is if we wanted to market to these people int he future, would we still be able to sync them back to Marketo?

Thanks

Natali