Re: Salesforce ID Residing in Marketo Lead Record

Ken_Ungaro
Level 2

Salesforce ID Residing in Marketo Lead Record

We often do not push a lead into a Salesforce campaign until they reach a scoring threshold but I have an issue where an existing lead in both of our Salesforce/Marketo instances was manually deleted out of Salesforce instance but NOT Marketo by one of my team members.  The lead later came back in through another Marketo based marketing campaign and Marketo went to "update" the record in Salesforce but the update failed because the Salesforce record no longer exists due to my previously mentioned "delete".  My question is how and where do I remove the Salesforce ID of the lead in their Marketo record OR is there a best practice way to get this lead back into Salesforce as a new lead?

Many thanks for your guidance.

Ken

9 REPLIES 9
Chris_Wilcox
Level 9

If you use the flow step action "Sync to SFDC," that will get the contact added to salesforce again. However, they'll have a NEW salesforce ID, which should update his record in Marketo. I believe that should solve your problem.

We use salesforce as our database of record, so we actually purge records from marketo as they are deleted from salesforce to avoid this issue. Then, if leads are created in Marketo, we immediately create them in salesforce as a lead record.

Ken_Ungaro
Level 2

Chris,

I wish ours was that easy.  We have internal Salesforce routing rules in place that the simple "Sync to SFDC" causes big problems for us.  Thank you for your response though.

Kyle_McCormick
Level 5

Hey Ken Ungaro, how are leads synced over to SFDC today?

Ken_Ungaro
Level 2

In almost real time based on various native SF routing rules.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

What Kyle is wondering is if you can't use "Sync to SFDC" how do you currently get Marketo leads into SFDC (net new leads, not related to this issue)?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ken,

There is a Recycle Bin in SFDC that you may be able to make use of. Records reside in the Recycle Bin for up to 15 days. Past this time frame there is an option to use "Salesforce Data Recovery Services" which comes at a steep cost.

Please see this SFDC reference article for specifics on how to view, purge, and/or recover items from SFDC Recycle Bin.

https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=home_delete.htm&type=5

As you restore the record on the SFDC side, this will create a duplicate record in Marketo. Once this occurs, you should be able to merge the two records on the marketo or SFDC side: restoring the previous ID and history.

For reference on how to merge records in Marketo, please see: Understanding Merges in Marketo

Ken_Ungaro
Level 2

Thank you Jay.  Yeah, the time window of 15 days has long expired unfortunately. 8 months ago.

Jen_Flom
Level 2

@Ken_Ungaro - were you ever able to find a resolution to this? I am experiencing a similar situation where the lead was deleted from Salesforce in October 2020, but still exists in Marketo with old (deleted) SFDC ID. I am trying to determine how to get this lead back into Salesforce as well.

Jen_Flom
Level 2

@Ken_Ungaro - disregard my previous post. I was able to accomplish this manually by deleting the lead from SFDC flow, then re-syncing them to SFDC again.