Re: SalesLoft & Marketo Users: How to Track Links on Website

Katherine_Ji
Level 1

SalesLoft & Marketo Users: How to Track Links on Website

Hi All,

For SalesLoft & Marketo Users, our team is looking to implement SalesLoft. Emails would be sent out through SalesLoft tool. The email would link to a page on our website. On this page, there is a button ("Learn More"). The "Learn More" button would take you to another page. We are trying to track which contact is clicking on this button.

Would we be able to track via Marketo who clicked on that button when using a SalesLoft email?

Thanks!
Katherine

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Only if you construct Munchkin-tagged links as in Generating Munchkin Associator Tokens in SFDC/Apex or FlowBoost/JS

Ronnie_Duke2
Level 4

Sanford Whiteman I'm glad I found your post... I knew I couldn't be the only one using the associateLead function in Munchkin api 😉

The one caveat I found though, is that if someone other than the person intended clicks the link in the email, Marketo will then assume that person is the lead and cookie them as such. We ended up having a big problem where our SDR team was clicking links sent to prospects via Salesloft (either from a reply they received, or clicking it in preview mode, etc) and then assumed the role of that lead from Marketo's perspective. The only reason I came across it was I saw leads with SUPER high engagement clicking all over our site, and when I went to the lead's activity log, the hits were all from our company IP address. 

I reached out to Marketo and there is apparently no way to remove activities from the lead's activity log either...so all I could do is go through one by one and reset scoring, remove from SFDC tracking campaigns, marketo programs etc. Was a huge pain.

In order to fix this going forward, we had to spend time educating the SDR team to NOT click any of the links sent in their outbound emails. I also implemented a server-side fix when generating the hash, to only execute if the IP address is not our corporate IP. Obviously this doesn't address remote sales reps, so I also had everyone fill out a Marketo form to reset their tracking cookies respectively.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Yep, it's definitely going to subject to the same problems as any forwarded link. I like your workaround though -- at least since you're in control of generating the hash, you can exclude by IP!  (You could skip association on the client side if you call out to an IP lookup service.)