Re: Saleforce Integration Question Leads and Contacts.

Irwin_Horowitz
Level 2

Saleforce Integration Question Leads and Contacts.

We are new to Marketo and have set up an Interest Form.  If the email on the form matches a Salesforce Contact's email, the contact record is updated with the form information.  If there's not a match, a new Salesforce Lead is created with the information from the form.  Is it possible to always have the interest form integrate with the SF Lead object and not update the Contact record?  That is, even is the email address exists in a contact record, create a new lead instead of updating the contact?

Thanks,

Irwin Horowitz

Girls Who Code

4 REPLIES 4
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Irwin,

In order to do that, there is a workaround : create a "sync lead to SFDC" and set the user to a lead queue.

Nevertheless, it is strongly not recommended to do this as it will create duplicates in the database. And duplicates are the enemy of Marketing Automation. You may for instance end up with 2 leads with 25 score points instead of one with 50 points and miss the MQL, the miss the revenue.

-Greg

Irwin_Horowitz
Level 2

Thanks for the response Greg. If we did create a sync lead to SFDC, would

the contact-based leads in Marketo be updated with changes from Salesforce,

or would that cause only Leads from Salesforce to update the Marketo

leads. As well, if contact-based leads in Marketo are updated by means

other than the interest form, would those updates be pushed to contacts in

SFDC.

I guess my question is: Could this lead only behavior be isolated just to

records initiated by our Interest Form that's set up in Marketo.

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 12:13 PM, Grégoire Michel <

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Irwin,

As you would have a lead and a contact, both could be updated in SFDC and these updates will be reflected in Marketo.

The hard point is, as soon as you have a lead and and contact in Marketo, if that person fills out a form or visits a page, the one that will be updated in Marketo is the one with the most recent activities, i.e. the Lead. But there are exceptions to this (for instance depending on cookies the person may have on various browsers) and at the end of the day, you would have no control at all on which one will be updated from Marketo.

-Greg

Irwin_Horowitz
Level 2

Thanks Greg--That sounds like we'd be opening a can of spaghetti. I don't

think we'll do it.

Irwin

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 1:33 PM, Grégoire Michel <marketingnation@marketo.com