Re: Safari email from link blocked

Jason_Saunders
Level 2

Safari email from link blocked

When a Safari user clicks on an anchor tag with a mailto modifier, such as <a href="mailto:test@test.com">test@test.com</a> the follow pop-up is display: 'This website has been blocked from automatically composing an email.' Is there anyway to bypass this?

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

DJ_Newman
Level 1

Sanford, we understand completely what you are suggesting but we are not using the insert link function. The issue Jason is describing was from a custom html email where the code in the sentence was mailto:xx@xx.com. When I left the mailto: out of the link in the html and just inserted the email address as plain text, the click to email link worked great, as expected, on mobile and some desktop but not all, since the mailto: was not included in the code.

So I guess I am expecting some code to wrap the mailto:.. in that will disable tracking?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Some applications will detect a link-like snippet of text and hyperlink it (which is extremely dangerous from a security perspective, but that's another matter) even if it's not in an <a>.

If you want to turn off the tracking rewrite (which, as noted in my blog post, is necessary for mailto: links to work) and ensure that the links are always hyperlinks on all platforms, you need to use explicit <a> tags.