Re: SFDC-to-Marketo Sync question

Andrew_Seidman
Level 2

SFDC-to-Marketo Sync question

We have a lot of leads/contacts in SFDC that are NOT synced to Marketo. We have a custom Sync Rule -> in order for any SFDC lead/contact to sync to Marketo, they need a true/false box "Sync" to equal TRUE.

Some of our leads/contacts in SFDC have records in Marketo that are not Synced (e.g. John Smith exists in SFDC with Sync = FALSE; then, John Smith gets added to Marketo as a separate record). When we click SFDC-John's checkbox to TRUE, he gets added as a duplicate to Marketo (so now there are two John Smith's in Marketo). Is there a way to avoid this and sync the two records together, rather than create these duplicates?

Thanks,

Andrew

7 REPLIES 7
Kevin_Weisenber
Level 4 - Champion Alumni

Do you have advanced de-duplication rules enabled? If so this could be affecting it. Example -if you have Partition AND Email for de-duplication and the contact exists in a different partition that your assignment rules for your Salesforce contact this would result in a duplicate being created.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Is there a way to avoid this and sync the two records together, rather than create these duplicates?

Not without another layer, i.e. RingLead or similar, continually mediating and merging.

The situation you're describing here is only "duplication" in the sense that you want First Name, Last Name and (though you didn't mention it, I assume) Email address to be used a compound primary key for new leads. But that isn't something that the Marketo ←→ SFDC sync enforces on its own.

Also, when you use a custom sync rule, it suggests that SFDC is your system of record, ergo you shouldn't be adding people on the Marketo side first.

Andrew_Seidman
Level 2

Thanks for the response; the issue is this:

We have 190k records in SFDC but only want to keep 40k records synced to Marketo. So, if a new record is created in Marketo by someone filling out a Marketo form on-page, they are created in Marketo first, then synced to SFDC. There, duplicate rules currently allow them to be created as a Lead even if another Lead is present with the same email address.

Conversely, if a lead is in SFDC AND in Marketo but they are NOT synced (two separate records), when we sync from SFDC into Marketo it creates a duplicate as well. The infrastructure is a mess, do you have any recommendations? ringlead?

Andrew

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Andrew,

Marketo database should be a superset of SALESFORCE database, not the opposite. I understand the fact that you might not want 190k records in Marketo because of the license cost, but you maybe you could at least try to have all the records that are potentially active in SFDC to be in Marketo as well. Sales contact tend to pay a visit to your web site. That‘s a given  

Ringlead provides an interesting technology, as it can hook both to Marketo and Salesforce and fix the duplicate almost immediately. So it’s an alternative to opening the sync more broadly.

there is a metric I use when discussing duplicate issues and budgets:

if preventing duplicate  creation costs 1, fixing it afterwards costs 10 and living with duplicates costs 100.

-Greg

Andrew_Seidman
Level 2

Hi Greg,

I'm familiar with this setup, but it's the client's preference, not mine.

Is there a good way to connect Marketo forms directly to Salesforce, and then run the data into Marketo that way? Doesn't seem like it would work, and seems counterintuitive, but maybe there's a way?

Thanks,

Andrew

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Andrew,

You cannot plug a Marketo form to SFDC, you can only run a « sync to sfdc » for each fills out form trigger. But that will not really solve your problem.

Greg

Pavel_Plachky
Level 5

Hi Andrew,

there is no out of the box solution to prevent duplicates in this situation. I heard of people having a good experience with RingLead. If you would like to implement a custom solution, it could look like this:

1. Create a web service that uses Marketo REST API to merge two or more records

2. Create a trigger campaign with the following smart list: When a person is created from Salesforce.com and the person is member of possible duplicates smart list:

3. The trigger campaign created in (2) will have a flow step to call a webhook to web service you created in (1)

Kind regards,

Pavel