1) It is my understanding that Marketo matches to a lead in SFDC based on email address.
2) If there are duplicates it will go to the lead in SFDC based on most recently updated.
3) So after it makes the match and there is an update made in Marketo how is the match performed? Is the same process
repeated or does Marketo store the SFDC_ID to know to go back to same same lead it matched to the first time?
4) When is the SFDC_ID field used in Marketo? It seems this could be used to ensure updates are sent to and form the same lead in SFDC?
1) Not 100% correct: Marketo matches a lead in Marketo based on email address That leads may come from SFDC or not. But if the leads comes from SFDC, the sync match between Marketo and SFDC is made on the SFDC ID.
2) Yes, with some exceptions. See Dan Stevens poste here: If duplicate leads are an issue, be aware of how Marketo determines which lead is active .
3) once the match is made if the person comes back the cookie will determine which lead is updated, if there is a cookie.
4) Indeed, Marketo stores the SFDC ID and uses it for syncs. So if a lead in Marketo is updated, then the corresponding lead/contact in SFDC will be updated as well.
See it as a 2 steps process. Outside word interacts with the Marketo DB based on email address, cookies and arbitrate rules (such as last update date) and the Marketo DB interacts with SFDC based on the SFDC ID.
1) If an update to a lead is made in Marketo, The update will be sent to the identical lead in SFDC based on SFDC_ID and not email?
2) If an update to a lead is made in SFDC, The update will be sent to the identical lead in Marketo based on SFDC_ID and not email?
I very much appreciate your patience and help. Having a time wrapping my head around this.
1) So if a new lead is created in Marketo (Via form let's say) to your point, it has no SFDC_ID. So it would attempt to match to a lead in SFDC by email?
2) If matching lead is found, it would assign SFDC_ID to lead in Marketo and further updates would be based on SFDC_ID?
3) If email address was not found a new Lead would be created in SFDC?
In fact, you cannot say "if a new lead is created, it would attend to match...". This attempt to match is done PRIOR to creating the lead, so the lead is created only if no match has been found. The attempt to match is done against everything that exists in Marketo. Thsi means that if a lead / contact exists in SFDC but not in Marketo, Marketo will not include it in the search for a match.
Yes, if one match is found, NO new lead is created, the existing sync'ed one will be updated. The difficulty arises if multiple matches are found on the same email address. In this case the "most recent update" rule applies.
And yes, if no match is found on the email address, a new lead is created in Marketo first. Then, when this lead is pushed to SFDC, a new lead will be created in SFDC. The creation in SFDC is not automatic. It happens only if you run a flow steps that triggers it (sync with SFDC, add to SFDC campaign or change program status and the program is sync'ed with an SFDC campaign)