Re: SFDC Account Fields Do Not Always Create Change Data Value Logs in Activity Log!!

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: SFDC Account Fields Do Not Always Create Change Data Value Logs in Activity Log!!

Wow, this is the first I've seen this thread (didn't catch it when it was originally posted in May).  As a member of the ABM Early Adopter Program - where we'll be interacting much more with the account entity in CRM (we use MS Dynamics) - I wonder how this will impact the activities that we'll be relying on within the Marketo ABM solution.

Mahesh Jeswani (MJ)

Gerard_van_den_
Level 3

Does anybody know whether this problem also applies to Opportunities? We have a number of triggers that fire on Oppty data value changes, especially Stage.  Any insights are much appreciated.

Michael_Langell
Level 4

Hi Gerard,

Cannot say I have an answer to that question, have not tested opportunities. 

I would do one of the following:

1.  Create a support ticket and reference this discussion or my BetterCloud case 00582509, (not sure if they can see that if you call in) and ask about how it relates to opportunities. 

2.  The easiest way to test this would be to take a field on the opportunity that is tracked in Salesforce, pull an opportunity history report.  Pull a report that displays only contacts with contact roles for those opportunities that have had the field change.  Create a smart list in Marketo on the same Salesforce field that should have the corresponding data value changed.  Make sure the time frames are the same.  Compare the email addresses/SFDC IDs in both lists.  If they are not the same, then the answer is Opportunities have the same problem.

If I have some time, I will take a look at this myself, but we do not use the opportunity in Marketo so it does not effect us.

-Mike     

Gerard_van_den_
Level 3

Thanks Mike, I'll start with a case as you suggested, any interesting info out of that, I will share here.

Geoff_Krajeski1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Anyone with a Revenue Cycle Model will likely have Opportunities tied to later model stages.

They may be able to check.  At the moment I am mired in team overload or I would certainly help test!

Gerard_van_den_
Level 3

After going through some support levels I feel I got the answer I was looking for, and actually it's quite interesting (and important) to hear what they have to say about it. I collected the bits and pieces that are the conclusion of the discussion:

[QUOTES]

The "Opportunity is Updated" trigger only evaluates against the activity but not the actual opportunity fields.

Basically, the working constraints are "Previous Value, New Value, Date of Activity, Min # of Times" and none of the other field value constraints will work.

It is however quite confusing to present such option in the UI I'm afraid and I apologise for any inconvenience this has caused you.

We've already petitioned our documentation team to amend the article and once again apologise for the missing information.

Regarding Opportunity updates being registered - the answer is yes - they will appear in the activity log. The only time when this does not happen is if the lead/contact was added to opportunity and the opportunity was updated in SFDC BEFORE the lead is created in Marketo. In this case, Marketo will only bring down the opportunity, but you won't see a Opportunity is updated activity in the activity log.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Thanks for the add'l info, Gerard.

To the last paragraph -- this is expected as it's the same behavior as when a lead/contact is updated in SFDC before being synced (and, for that matter, when there are multiple changes in SFDC in the sync window).

Sara_Greaves
Level 5

Wow - this is interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We've recently come up against this, less than 10% of accounts we create get the transaction lines. This started around 10 August 2017. Pretty frustrating, considering it's been working for us till this point. If it's an established issue on Marketo's end then they should prevent triggers being created against account at all.