Running description field of score changes

Anonymous
Not applicable

Running description field of score changes

Hi everyone,

I am trying to create a concatenated field which will store the details of all score changes a lead went through to become an MQL.

I am not sure of the best way to do this though ... I have trigger campaigns setup to listen for certain behaviors which then assign a certain score to the lead but I am not sure how to utilize this to create my description field.

All advise and suggestions will be helpful, thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Kim_Allen
Level 10

Re: Running description field of score changes

Hi Karen,

So what is the exact purpose of this field you want to create? What usually happens is that lead scoring is set up all through different smart campaigns in a scoring program, each adjusting the lead score and the demographic or behavior score (depending on the criteria). So you have pretty good visibility into the lead scoring in Sales Insight and in a lead's activity log.

Kim

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Karen >

This is something I setup a long time ago. I haven't remade this in a while, but I know where you are coming from.

What I did was run a smart campaign on a regular interval. I think every month, but you could do more frequently if you find you have frequent changes.

At the time I was analyzing the trends of overall Lead Score, Behavioral Score, Demographic Score. And watching how each of those changed.

I created a new field, History of Lead Scores. Then I created a few smart campaigns to write the data to the field.

Smart List -

If data value changed, Lead Score, in past 30 days.

Flow -

Change data value - History of Lead Scores

{{system.date}} - {{lead.Lead Score}} | {{lead.History of Lead Scores}}

Then you'll have a concatenated history you can look back to see how people's scores have changed without needing to reference their Activity log.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Adam,

Nice, is this for troubleshooting needs or to show to Sales?

If Sales, then MSI is a better choice as it displays the score change to the user in the CRM. I don't think I'd really use the solution to show to Sales.

Elliott_Lowe1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

I also would like to better understand how you are going to use this concatenated value, which could become quite large and indecipherable if you have a robust scoring model.

The Re: How to measure the score progression of a set of leads  Discussion from a couple of years ago is very similar to your question and in it, I referred to the technique described in the Deciding Program Atrtibution Percentages help article written by Adam Waterson (whom I can't seem to @ mention here).  Unfortunately, I can't find that article in the new Community, but perhaps Scott K. Wilder can help us find it.

Basically the technique is to update the value in a field (e.g. Score History) by using tokens to concatenate the value from another field (e.g. Score Event) onto it each time the value in the other field changes.

Oops!  I see Adam already replied after I opened my reply.  Hopefully Scott can get the help article Adam wrote, which provides more detail and insight.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Elliott Lowe​ Hi Elliott. I am snooping around looking for that article. But I did find this post from Adam (See below). Do you need the original thread?

cc: Kim Para

Josh Hill

Karen O'Sullivan

----

From Adam in November 2012:

Sorry for the slow reply. I started this the other day but then got trapped in a complicated project and never finished this.

Here's my logic:

it begins with a nicely built URL. You can view a different thread for how I created a URL builder. https://community.marketo.com/MarketoDiscussionDetail?id=90650000000PMGlAAO

Once someone clicks from that beautiful URL, they arrive here at a page with a form. The hidden form fields capture the values from the URL Paramter.

0EM50000000Po61.jpg

This is based on pre-created fields in my system.

0EM50000000Po66.jpg

Once the form is submitted, here is a program which contains my elements.

0EM50000000Po6B.jpg

This program lays out in the following way through the series of 5 campaigns. You can see, by using 2 tokens in the same flow step, you can add new information to a field that already contains information, I call that concatenation.

0EM50000000Po6G.jpg

0EM50000000Po6L.jpg

This I learned...

1. you must have a "default" value on form submit. The form won't submit a hidden form empty. So instead I called that Blank. Unfortunately when I first setup this campaign I didn't filter out Blank entries, so for people who come directly to my website, their history was full of BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK. Which was ugly.

2. This process can quickly capture a lot of data. Besure the history field is a text area, not a text field. The longer space is required for this to be successful.

3. Notice in my first flowstep that this is based on the utm_campaign field changing. Originally I had it based on any of the 4 fields changing, which they all do simultaneously. So my process was really messed up because each one of these campaigns fired 4 times, which lead to a whole lot of poorly formed data. I've since revised the logic so that no longer happens.

I made these edits in stages. First I modified the campaigns to suppress Blank values. Then I corrected the 4 triggers. Then I realized that the fields were too short, but once I corrected that, changing from text to text area empties out the fields. Which I didn't realize. So then I spent many many hours cleaning this data, getting it all beautiful to put back into the system, only to realize I'd already cleared all values. Ergh.

So my Analytics report looks like it's only been running for a week, which in effect is true. My 5000 lines of data were lost and I began again. This report will look really interesting in a few months.

0EM50000000Po6Q.jpg

It will also be a lot more interesting when it has Opportunity values associated with it and you can trigger an analysis based on Sales Won, pull in all members of that Company, and then review the campaigns they participated in. Can become quite valuable. I'll letcha know in 6 months.

Elliott_Lowe1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Thanks Scott!  This may be the help article that I was trying to find.  It certainly describes the technique; although, the example in the article is a bit more complex than the situation that Karen has.