SOLVED

Rules on Marketo forms

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rules on Marketo forms

Can I set up a Marketo form so that it will not accept non-business email domains? (yahoo, hotmail etc)

Thanks
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rules on Marketo forms

We are doing exactly this on our forms.  The Marketo help article Adding custom validation to a Marketo form before submitting it describes how to do this.

Below is the code that we use that checks for over 80 popular public email domains (some for creating temporary email addresses).
  Just add it into an HTML object below the form in the Landing Page Designer.

<!-- Validate the email address field in forms for a non-public domain -->
<script type="text/javascript" src="/js/public/jquery-latest.min.js"
language="JavaScript"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
// set no conflict mode for jquery
var $jQ = jQuery.noConflict();
//edit this list with the domains you want to block
var invalidDomains = ["@123mail.org","@aol.com","@att.net","@bellsouth.net","@charter.net","@comcast.net","@cox.net","@earthlink.net","@gmail.com","@gmx.com","@gmx.de","@googlemail.com","@hotmail.","@juno.com","@live.","@mac.com","@mail.com","@me.com","@mindspring.com","@msn.com","@optonline.net","@pacbell.net","@rediffmail.com","@rocketmail.com","@rogers.com",".rr.com.","@sbcglobal.net","@sympatico.ca","@telus.net","@verizon.net","@yahoo.","@ymail.com","@zigmail.com","@bigstring.com","@bumpymail.com","@centermail.com","@centermail.net","@discardmail.com","@dodgeit.com","@e4ward.com","@emailias.com","@fakeinformation.com","@front14.org","@getairmail.com","@ghosttexter.de","@jetable.net","@kasmail.com","@link2mail.net","@mailexpire.com","@mailinator.com","@mailmetrash.com","@mailmoat.com","@messagebeamer.de","@mytrashmail.com","@nepwk.com","@nervmich.net","@netmails.net","@netzidiot.de","@nurfuerspam.de","@oneoffemail.com","@pookmail.com","@privacy.net","@punkass.com","@rmqkr.net","@sharklasers.com","@sneakemail.com","@sofort-mail.de","@sogetthis.com","@spam.la","@spambob.com","@spambob.net","@spambob.org","@spambog.com","@spamex.com","@spamgourmet.com","@spamhole.com","@spaminator.de","@spammotel.com","@spamtrail.com","@trash-mail.de","@trashymail.com","@trashmail.net","@yopmail.com","@wuzup.net"];
function formSubmit(elt) {
// run the custom validation. If it succeeds, run the Marketo validation
if (!isEmailGood()) {
Mkto.setError($jQ("#Email ~ span").prev()[0],"Please enter a business address, not one from a public service");
return false;
} else {
Mkto.clearError($jQ("#Email ~ span").prev()[0]);
}
return Mkto.formSubmit(elt);
}

function isEmailGood() {
for(i=0; i < invalidDomains.length; i++) {
if ( $jQ("#Email[value*=" + invalidDomains[i] + "]").length > 0) {
return false;
}
}
return true;
}
</script>

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Caroline,

Yes, this is possible - more info in this article https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000L5Lm&src=

Although the article tells you how to set this up, you will need to create your own list of public email domains and add to the code.

Hope this helps!

Halid

Anonymous
Not applicable

We are doing exactly this on our forms.  The Marketo help article Adding custom validation to a Marketo form before submitting it describes how to do this.

Below is the code that we use that checks for over 80 popular public email domains (some for creating temporary email addresses).
  Just add it into an HTML object below the form in the Landing Page Designer.

<!-- Validate the email address field in forms for a non-public domain -->
<script type="text/javascript" src="/js/public/jquery-latest.min.js"
language="JavaScript"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
// set no conflict mode for jquery
var $jQ = jQuery.noConflict();
//edit this list with the domains you want to block
var invalidDomains = ["@123mail.org","@aol.com","@att.net","@bellsouth.net","@charter.net","@comcast.net","@cox.net","@earthlink.net","@gmail.com","@gmx.com","@gmx.de","@googlemail.com","@hotmail.","@juno.com","@live.","@mac.com","@mail.com","@me.com","@mindspring.com","@msn.com","@optonline.net","@pacbell.net","@rediffmail.com","@rocketmail.com","@rogers.com",".rr.com.","@sbcglobal.net","@sympatico.ca","@telus.net","@verizon.net","@yahoo.","@ymail.com","@zigmail.com","@bigstring.com","@bumpymail.com","@centermail.com","@centermail.net","@discardmail.com","@dodgeit.com","@e4ward.com","@emailias.com","@fakeinformation.com","@front14.org","@getairmail.com","@ghosttexter.de","@jetable.net","@kasmail.com","@link2mail.net","@mailexpire.com","@mailinator.com","@mailmetrash.com","@mailmoat.com","@messagebeamer.de","@mytrashmail.com","@nepwk.com","@nervmich.net","@netmails.net","@netzidiot.de","@nurfuerspam.de","@oneoffemail.com","@pookmail.com","@privacy.net","@punkass.com","@rmqkr.net","@sharklasers.com","@sneakemail.com","@sofort-mail.de","@sogetthis.com","@spam.la","@spambob.com","@spambob.net","@spambob.org","@spambog.com","@spamex.com","@spamgourmet.com","@spamhole.com","@spaminator.de","@spammotel.com","@spamtrail.com","@trash-mail.de","@trashymail.com","@trashmail.net","@yopmail.com","@wuzup.net"];
function formSubmit(elt) {
// run the custom validation. If it succeeds, run the Marketo validation
if (!isEmailGood()) {
Mkto.setError($jQ("#Email ~ span").prev()[0],"Please enter a business address, not one from a public service");
return false;
} else {
Mkto.clearError($jQ("#Email ~ span").prev()[0]);
}
return Mkto.formSubmit(elt);
}

function isEmailGood() {
for(i=0; i < invalidDomains.length; i++) {
if ( $jQ("#Email[value*=" + invalidDomains[i] + "]").length > 0) {
return false;
}
}
return true;
}
</script>
Anonymous
Not applicable

Absolutely doable, but what if a prospect wants to keep their business email free of marketing offers and uses a GMail address?

Do you have data that says all people that use a free email address are not legimate leads?

Instead of preventing these altogether and losing a potentially viable lead, why don't you adjust your lead scoring to apply a negative value to leads with one of these free address providers? 

Just some questions to consider 🙂
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is great.  Thanks for posting.
I agree with Jason that this is not for every kind of form, but for example, on a free trial, we are thinking of using something like this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

An excellent point. 

We use behavior qualification, not behavior scoring, so deducting score points for the email domain wouldn't work for us.

We restricted the email address because we were having a significant problem with large numbers of unqualified leads filling out our Contact Me form, which by design, our telemarketing team responds to.  Ideally we should redesign / update the content on our web site to better filter out unqualified visitors before they request us to contact them, but we aren't able to do that right now.  I lobbied to not restrict email addresses as I have seen excellent leads use their personal (public domain) email address, but because of the impact on our sales team, we moved forward with this. 

The results were significant.  In the 6 months before restricting the email address 13% of the visitors to the Contact Me page filled out the form, while in the 6 months after restricting the email address only 8% filled out the form, but the total number of form fills increased 14%.

Conversly In the 6 months before restricting the email address 12% of the visitors to the Resource Request pages filled out that form, while in the 6 months after restricting the email address 14% filled out the form, and the total number of form fills increased 42%.

The feedback from the sales team is that the quality of our leads increased significantly and we can see that in a significantly increased MQL / SAL ratio after we restricted the email address. 

Depending on your target market and sales resources available, this may or may not be the best thing to do, but you should measure it to make sure you are getting the desired reults.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Elliott,

THIS is the kind of analysis that needs to be done before making decisions...I just don't know how you have time to do detailed analysis and post so much on here 🙂 Well done, sir!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Elliott,
Great analysis. One question for you.  Are you attributing your increase in form fills to this restricting to business emails?  I understand why the form completion would decrease, but why would the form fill # increase due to this? Are there other factors that lead to an increase?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for not providing the page view growth to provide context for the form fill growth.  The number of page views on our entire site increased 30% and just slightly less for our Resource Request pages, while page views on our Contact Me page increased over 80%.  So yes - we were definitely doing other things to drive more people to the Contact Me page to offset the effect of the decreased conversion rate.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the great help and pointers everyone!