Reverse IP Lookup for Account Based Marketing

Anonymous
Not applicable

Reverse IP Lookup for Account Based Marketing

Has anyone had much luck using the reverse IP lookup? I find that my anonymous leads are "AT&T" or "Verizon" 99% of the time. Trying to decide if the real time personalization is worth it based on that...
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Reverse IP Lookup for Account Based Marketing

Huh. Have you looked at the Web Page or Company Page reports? Those may have comparable data.

Since you are getting so many ISPs, it might be worth talking to Support or asking your rep for more details.

The thing with RTP is it relies on Inferred data and existing data based on your smart lists, so I'm not sure if relying on the reverse IP lookup will be super helpful beyond geo targeting and certain companies with their own IP #s.
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hi, that last comment was me. Got logged into the wrong window 🙂
Anonymous
Not applicable

It really depends on your target audience, I've found. At previous companies, IP inferred data was always iffy on company name - I experienced the same thing you did. But that was because we were selling to small, local businesses unlikely to have anything other than their ISP listed. In those cases, I most certainly wouldn't think RTP would be a great fit.

Currently we target larger organizations, many of which are public, and generally have decent results from inferred information. We haven't sprung for RTP yet, but I could see a better fit in my current use case. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

We're targeting Fortune 500 companies so maybe this will work...
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think RTP would work for this use case. I'll ask your account manager to reach out with more info.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am also getting a large number of ISPs rather than the actual account name, especially internationally. I am trying to get rid of Leadlander (which has way better account identification tools) but without better data from Marketo, it is a difficult sell to the sales team. I have talked to support with no real answer to the problem. I currently filter as many ISPs as I can. Is there any plan for Marketo to make the web activity tracking feature more robust?
Adam_Vavrek1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Michelle, I'm seeing the same thing you are (and we target larger companies too). The majority of the info for this field are ISPs. I'd be interested in seeing data that supports the accuracy for company names vs ISPs in the Inferred Company field. Have you learned anything new since your last post?
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, Adam, I have not received any responses to my post. It is too bad that we are led to believe we will be able to accurately track website activity when that really isn't the case. And I will never be able to talk my company into paying for Real Time Personalization - especially if they feel they were already sold something that doesn't work as promised in the sales cycle
Anonymous
Not applicable

This post is interesting to me. We have mixed results in our Inferred data. One thing thats been bugging me lately is that we are seeing the Anonymous IP and Inferred Data on many leads get populated with the same salesforce.com details (by this i mean actual salesforce.com address and IP). This appears to be happening during a lead merge and it's throwing our database into chaos since we have some scheduled jobs which use inferred values for other data value changes. I have no idea why this is happening and so far no luck through support. I'm still working with them so hoping we can get some kind of resolution but so far RTP hasn't been very useful to us.