Re: Reusing of form fields in programs

Lakshmipriya_Ra
Level 1

Reusing of form fields in programs

Hi,

For some of our programs, we have fields like 'remarks', 'Would you to like to be a mentor?'or 'Will you be available for day 1 and 2'?

Does this mean I create newer form fields every time ( leading to many many fields created and used only once), or is there an option to re purpose an existing field?

Thanks in advance.

Priya

7 REPLIES 7
Carrie_Chandle1
Level 6 - Community Advisor

Hi Lakshmipriya Raut - I wouldn't recommend re-purposing fields unless you're asking for the same data each time around (for example "emergency contact" or "dietary preferences"). We've ended up creating single-use case fields because we'll have questions specific to an event that don't apply to other use cases. You can always hide fields from the UI if you're worried about field overload.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You can always hide fields from the UI if you're worried about field overload.

I don't agree. Hidden fields still affect performance. It's a sure sign of an unhealthy instance if there are 100s of "Chicken or Fish?" fields hidden and never used again.

Carrie_Chandle1

Ah, yes. We don't hide a ton of fields for this reason, but have relied on it to help solve some SFDC field creation issues - and generally like it as an option just in case!

SanfordWhiteman

Keeping to a small number of reusable fields for short-lived data is fine, even including using the same generic field for different data domains over time. That's as long as you manage the data appropriately, though. Key to that management is including the current purpose of the field in the field value itself. So the field doesn't store "yes," it stores the value "2019-02-01 Mentor: yes". Then later it can store "2019-03-01 Day Pref: 2".

Carrie_Chandle1

I like the idea of storing the current purpose (date) in the field value. Do you typically manage this within the form or with a separate campaign?

SanfordWhiteman

Within the form.

Manish_Khemani1
Level 3

Hi Sandy,

Could you please explain how a field can be updated with Date along with custom value from within the form? Any links from the community that has this detailed out?

Thanks - Manish