SOLVED

Return Character

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Return Character

We set up data value change so when someone fills a comment section it adds to the exixting data if they're a current lead. (i'm using a dummy field to caputre the new comments then a seperate campaing to appened the data) (I'm also using it with webhooks we use for text messaging)

However, when it updates it doens't add a return carature.

Example.

Previous data:
Lead has great interest in our products.

Appended data:
I was wondering how I could go about changing my order? Lead has great interst in our products. 

Desired appeneded data:
I was wondering how I could go about changing my order?

Lead has great interst in our products. 
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Return Character

Since the Marketo form have enctype="application/x-www-form-urlencoded", you can use, '%0D%0A' i.e. CRLF after url-encoding to insert a line break in your data. That should work, otherwise, try '
'

Hope this helps

Rajesh

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since the Marketo form have enctype="application/x-www-form-urlencoded", you can use, '%0D%0A' i.e. CRLF after url-encoding to insert a line break in your data. That should work, otherwise, try '
'

Hope this helps

Rajesh

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am trying to add a CR using the Change Data Value flow step, and the above codes are not working. They just come through unchanged (even though I am changing a Text Area field).

Is there a different sort of character to use in Change Data Value? If it's documented, I cannot find it.
Nate_Oosterhous
Level 7

I am having the same problem for a history tracking field I want to set up.  Below is my Flow Step and I can't seem to get anything to work for a new line or return after each concatenation to the field.0EM50000000StrB.jpg
Does anyone have any ideas?
Andrew_Sielen1
Level 3

Any update on this?

The annoying this is that the fields support line breaks, if you edit a lead record you can add them to  your hearts content but there doesn't seem like there is a way to do  this programmatically.

I tried the html entities, <br>, the above trick,  and nothing  worked. The closest I got to getting something to work was to create a 'line break' field on a lead and manually populate it with:

"

#

>

"

and  then reference that whenever I need a line break.  The problem with that is there doesn't seem to be a way to give every lead that value for the field by default. Also tried it as a Salesforce formula but it seems Salesforce is just at bad at this as Marketo.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Most of the answers here are confusing HTML-encoding (&...;), URL-encoding (%...), and HTML line breaks (<BR>).

If you're breaking lines in a textarea (this is how your history field will be displayed in the Marketo Lead Database UI) you need the actual ASCII/Unicode control characters #13 + #10 (in JavaScript/C/C++/etc. escaped as '\r\n').  Textareas neither require nor understand formats from other parts of the web ecosystem.

Unfortunately, the Flow Editor UI where you build a flow helpfully (aherm) double-escapes \r\n when you attempt to add these characters the input box.  However, if you bypass validation of the input box it's possible to get them stored in your database. When properly entered, the \r\n will be invisible, but fully operational, as you can see here.

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_4.png

To bypass validation of the field requires a technique I'm not going to post publicly, but if you're interested you can follow me on the Community and we can chat about it.

Greg_Moffatt
Level 1

Hi Are you able to provide this to me?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Greg_Moffatt
Level 1

You sir are a legend