Re: Return Character in Change Data Value

Anonymous
Not applicable

Return Character in Change Data Value

We are using change data value to append a field to a field history. Ideally, we would like to enter a line break between each entry to make it easier to read. Currently I have:

{{system.dateTime}} - {{lead.Comments (form)}}  {{lead.Comments(History)}}

But I would like it to be formatted as

{{system.dateTime}} - {{lead.Comments (form)}} 

{{lead.Comments(History)}}

both fields are text areas and can handle a line break, but I cant figure out how to add one using a flow action.

I have tried adding /n, /r... but it just adds the characters. Is there a wrapper I need to use to have it change the value correctly.

20 REPLIES 20
John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Justin,

This isn't currently possible, as the flow step doesn't interpret special characters.   I've been trying to work out some other way to do it, but I'm coming up blank.  I would encourage you to submit an idea on it.  I'd vote for it!

John

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I've done it.  It's a delicate hack.  Showed a demo the other day of the results but no one seemed interested!

The major problem with is it isn't a one-time setup: anytime you make a change to the Smart Campaign you have to remember to redo it.  It amounts to subverting the UI validation so it always has to be the "last touch" of the SC.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure I follow - were you able to use /n?

SanfordWhiteman

Not sure I follow - were you able to use /n?

Of course.  I wouldn't say I had a method otherwise!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you provide some additional detail on what was done in the 'hack'?

SanfordWhiteman

Contact me privately and I'll show you how it's done.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sanford Whiteman can we get you to show the goodies? Haven't been able to get this to work with rich text tokens.

SanfordWhiteman

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Justin,

I'm pretty sure everything when viewing a lead record is set to not interpret encoding like that, to avoid the security risk of code injection through a form or if an API were to be compromised. I think if the field is synced to a rich text field in SFDC you might be able to use HTML characters like <br> though.