Re: Retroactively Attributing an Action to a Success

Anonymous
Not applicable

Retroactively Attributing an Action to a Success

I'm trying to perform a fairly simple task, but can't figure out how to do it using the filters and constraints in Smart Lists.

Essentially, I'm trying retroactively see if a engagement program email contributed to a lead taking an action using Smart Lists. In this case, I'm trying to see if an email was sent and engaged with BEFORE a lead registered for a product trial or became a customer, therefore, I can say that an email contributed/assisted to that lead signing up. Right now I'm using the Date of Activity constraint, but that doesn't provide an order of events.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can setup a smart list or even smart campaign to determine whether or not one action had an influence on another based on dates?

4 REPLIES 4
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Stephen,

The opportunity analyzer is another way to look at this. The Program analyzer as well.

Both can look at the lead history and will use opportunity creation date/opportunity close date vs program success dates. Each time the program member success date is prior to the opportunity creation date (for pipeline creation) or to the opportunity close date (for revenue attribution), the program will get attribution.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply Grégoire.

Unfortunately, we are using an in-house CRM which doesn't populate any of the Opportunity data in Marketo. This is a major issue that I'm lobbying to get changed, but for the time being I have to find other ways to try and get the most accurate data without using a lot of the Analytics tools.

Additionally, the majority of programs do not have successes attributed to them so I can't go on that data either.

Right now I'm having to sift through individual lead Activity Logs and looking at activity dates - it's not efficient at all.

Lucho_Soto
Level 5

Tracking successes is a key building block to most of Marketo's analytics so I strongly recommend you start there. Define what success means for each channel, use smart campaigns to place leads in success steps and backdate their success dates as needed. Estimate the success date as needed to process leads in batches and save time.

That way when your CRM issues get sorted out and opp data starts coming in, you will be well positioned to start tracking attribution metrics for past and present programs.

Jessica_Kao3
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I agree with Lucho.  At somepoint you will need this data so you might as well start placing people as members of programs and making them successes. Here's an post on how to back fill data.  https://nation.marketo.com/community/champion/blog/2016/09/08/what-you-need-to-know-to-get-ft-and-mt...