Re: Resend same email to leads who did NOT open

Anonymous
Not applicable

Resend same email to leads who did NOT open

Last week, I sent out an email. Today, I'd like to send that SAME email to the leads who did NOT open my first wave.

I cloned the original smart campaign, but added the "Not Opened Email" filter...I currently have set it up this way:

Smart List: 
  • 1.) "Member of Smart List" = (same Smart List used in first email)
  • 2.) ""Not Opened Email" is "First Email"...(this is filter I added)
Is this the correct method? Or am I missing something?

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Tucker,

I would change the first smart list filter to be "Member of 'original smart campaign'".    There might have been additions/deletions to the database (in the last 7 days) which could pull a slightly different list than your list from last week if you use the 'Member of Smart List' filter.

You might want to clone your original email (email #2), and change the Subject line" slightly, so that you will be able to track whether your leads opened email #1, email #2 or both.

Don
Lauren_Galietti
Level 3

This is not necessary but if your email received many clicks, you might also want to not include people who clicked links in your first email when you send the second. I only say this because in some cases, Marketo can't tell if the email was opened by an individual (depending on how they view it) but will know that the person clicked it....
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Don, that makes perfect sense.

Lauren, what's the best way to go about sorting those who clicked links? 
Lauren_Galietti
Level 3

So, I just started writing out a long response and realized that it's not that simple. I think the negatives ("not ____") are confusing me.

I think the first step is to add an additional filter for "not clicked link in email" and then select your first email.

The next part is where I get tripped up.... I think using advanced filters, specifying "1 and (2 or 3)," so a member of the smart campaign who didn't open the email -OR- didn't click the email actually only eliminates people who didn't open -AND- didn't click the email.

However, if you use all filters (so, 1 and 2 and 3), that might work. So you're list is looking for someone who is a member of the smart campaign who didn't open the email and didn't click the email. This would mean that opening the email would disqualify you -OR- clicking the email would disqualify you.

Does that make sense? It was confusing to think about!

Depending on your list, you may just want to skip it. It's really only a handful of people in each campaign I send that I see this with...where marketo shows that they clicked a link but doesn't show that they opened the email.
Anonymous
Not applicable

This gets difficult with the negative criteria.  It may actually be easier to make two smart lists:

1. "Member of list and opened or clicked email"
2. Member of list sent email and not member of list #1

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Sorry, I'm a bit lost (new user!). I've already sent my 1st campaign and now want to augment my open rate by re-sending to those targets that have not opened the email. 

My emails are being populated from our SalesForce.com database so under "Smart List", I typically select "Member of SFDC Campaign".

There is an "Add Constraint" option -- should I select "Has Responded" = "false" as my constraint? What does "has responded" mean? 

I don't see any of the options (i.e., "member of list sent email" and "not member of list #1") you stated above.

Thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable

It sounds like your first smart campaign is using the SFDC Campaign criteria to send an email, and then the flow step says "send email" is that right?

You'll want to create a second smart campaign in Marketo, that uses new criteria in the smart list.  So instead of "Member of SFDC Campaign" you'll choose "Was sent email" and "Not opened email":

0EM50000000QrLr.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cloning the email was touched upon by Don but for other reasons: but don't you have to clone the email in order to be able to send it to the same group twice? Because Marketo automatically stops you from sending the same email asset again?

So if I want to re-send to non-openers I need to clone the email first or they will be skipped in the smart campaign, even if I create a new smart campaign?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Caroline it sounds like you are referring to the customer engagement program, which will prevent duplicate sends of the same email.  In general Marketo will *not* stop you from sending the same email asset.