SOLVED

Replicate Marketo Database

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Replicate Marketo Database

The disappointment comes both from effort I've to put to get data on my side in a easy way to access (SQL) so I can build my analytics application and also because the alternative is based on API calls in which I have a quota.

Still, thank you very much for you help. I'll take a look into the tool.

Regards.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

If you were expecting old-school flat-file exports, I understand that the JSON-based API might seem complex.  But like Greg said, the Marketo API style is pretty normal.  I'm surprised when people still offer CSVs (for my own apps, I refuse to provide them anymore, since even if data can be flattened now it could well become too complex later).

As for the API quota, it's definitely frustrating (even much more so if you have multiple apps sucking up calls with no individual caps) and I warn people off using the API in any singleton context.  But you're working firmly in the bulk context and, assuming yours is the only app using the API, you do get to download 3,000,0000 somethings per day.  That's a lot of data to take in, period, and I wouldn't be surprised if your infrastructure + ETL overhead + API endpoint performance + network overhead end up being the operative bottlenecks, not the API call limit.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Carlos,

We have bumped into the same issue as you had before while we are trying to replicate data to SQL server database to build some analytic reports, but it turned out to be hard to achieve with Marketo standard  API.

Therefore, we have developed our own data retrieving tool called Data Loader for Marketo(DLM) which allows you to sync Marketo data to the database without any coding. We invite you to visit our website to have a free trial of DLM and see if this could solve your problem.

Data Loader for Marketo:  https://dlm.trend.org

Feel free to contact us for further information or any feedback are very welcome!

Sincerely,

Vivian

SanfordWhiteman

The product appears to require old Marketo SOAP credentials -- i.e. full create/read/update/delete access to Marketo -- in addition to REST API access. Is that correct?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sanford,

We use both SOAP and REST APIs in our product, but if you have any concern about SOAP credentials, welcome to contact us to try REST-only version.

The reason why we use both SOAP and REST APIs is that there is some limitation in REST API Marketo provided.

First, Marketo only supports Opportunity REST API for those who use Marketo without integration with CRM tool. Therefore, we won’t be able to include Opportunity REST in our product since we use Marketo and Salesforce. Second, although Program can be retrieved with REST API, it might easily exceed API limitation since it returns only 1 record in 1 API call.

Per the limitation of REST API-only might have, we will still provide current version which has the full function (SOAP+REST). In the same time, REST API-only version will also be provided but with limited functions.

Btw, although SOAP API has the delete function, we didn't use it at all. You're welcome to give it a test.

Thank you again for your suggestions, all the opinions are valuable for other people to have a better product to use.

Best Regards,

Vivian

SanfordWhiteman

I've since been in contact with your developer and outlined the security problems with the SOAP approach, which he was not aware of. Granting read, (over)write, and delete access to every object in a Marketo instance -- especially, but not only, when software is in beta -- isn't something a security-conscious organization should authorize. It's not a matter of your code mailiciously taking advantage of its root access to an instance, but the undeniable risk involved. One misstep in parsing the WSDL and everything is gone.

I also noticed that the software does not enforce a cap on its daily API calls, so simply testing the software can break all other running integrations. And, as an experienced Marketo dev I feel you're not accurately describing the technical problems with the.REST API, though indded there are are many.

Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to testing the REST-only version, which I downloaded the other day as soon as it was published!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your interest in our product and advice. We know you might concern for SOAP security, so we investigated this issue and released the REST-only version.

Regarding to API calls, we will allow users to view current API usage in new version, which plans to release in late October. Besides, customized daily API call limitation is on our roadmap. We are working on many new features based on users feedback.

Thank you again for downloading the free trial, any feedback is welcome!

Best Regards,

Vivian