SOLVED

Re: Renaming Lead Source

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Renaming Lead Source

I had a new lead come in through a form for a whitepaper download. Initially, the lead source was marked correctly in our system. However, I ran a report recently and saw that the lead source had changed when the lead had signed up for a webinar we were hosting. Has anyone had this problem before? If so, how do I stop it from happening? I want to make sure each campaign is receiving the appropriate credit for the leads it generates.
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Chris,
Lead Source is an editable value that can be changed.

To prevent any updates from happening to a value that already exists, go to Admin --> Field Management. Select "Source" under the lead info folder and click Field Actions ---> Block Field Updates. Check all the boxes and nothing will be able to change the Lead Source.

Will

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Kimi_Heskett1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Block field updates on the source field via form fills. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Chris,

You can block field updates (in the admin section) to the "Lead Source" field which will let it populate once, but lock it after that point.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Chris,
Lead Source is an editable value that can be changed.

To prevent any updates from happening to a value that already exists, go to Admin --> Field Management. Select "Source" under the lead info folder and click Field Actions ---> Block Field Updates. Check all the boxes and nothing will be able to change the Lead Source.

Will
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would suggest creating a field called "Original Lead Source" and using a workflow that triggers based on Lead Source being populated. Since it would only fill out the first time lead source is populated it will not change based on future campaigns as a precaution you could lock this in the admin section. This would also allow you to still see the current lead source. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Chris,

Anytime I include a flow step to change or set lead source, I always include a choice that says "If Lead source is not empty, do nothing." (See screenshot below.)

That way I know I am only setting lead source for net new leads, and original lead source will not be overwritten for existing leads.

0EM50000000RSru.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Chris,

When you set up your tags you need to be careful that you have filters in that don't overwrite exisitng data.  That's what it sounds like is happening here. Under the flow action use a Data Change Value then hit add choice, put in a constraint "Is Empty" New Value  is 'Lead Source Token' or you can set up single values if you would rather do that.

Hope that helps.

Kaitlyn 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone