Re: Remove Form Pre-Fill on a Single Field (Dynamically if Possible)

Justin_Norris1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Remove Form Pre-Fill on a Single Field (Dynamically if Possible)

Hi all,

Form pre-fill is great but sometimes it creates problem.

Example: if you populate known records that have an empty last name or company name field with "[not provided]" or some other default value in order to ensure those records still sync to SFDC...

...Then when those known leads go to fill out another form they see a weird "[not provided]" value pre-filling in their forms.

I'm wondering if anyone knows a trick to do one of the following (in descending order of preference):

1) Dynamically suppress the pre-fill: in an ideal world, have some logic that could be added to an individual form that says, "if company name = [not provided], clear pre-fill for that field". I am assuming this would probably need to be done with some extra javascript.

2) Turn of pre-fill for one field: lacking a more intelligent method like above, we could also turn off pre-fill entirely but just for that one field, so that we don't lose the benefit of other fields.

Love to know if anyone has solved for this.

Thanks!

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Elliott_Lowe1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

You could create a parallel field to use in the form.  You'd have a smart campaign that would copy the value from the Last Name field into the Last Name (form only) field, but not if the value in the Last Name field is '[not provided]', 'N/A', etc.  Then the form prefill would be blank in that field in the form.  If they enter a value in the field, your smart campaign would copy the value into the Last Name field and overwrite '[not provided]'.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

MktoForms2.whenReady(function(form) {

var treatAsBlank = [
   'N/A',
   'Not Provided',
   '[Not Provided]',
   'null'
  ],
   treatAsBlankRE = new RegExp('^(' + treatAsBlank.join('|') + ')$', 'i');

if (treatAsBlankRE.test(form.getValues().FirstName)) {
   form.setValues({
   FirstName: ''
  });
  }

});

Justin_Norris1

Sanford Whiteman

Sandy, I've been trying to deploy this but doesn't seem to be working. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Here is the test page: http://na-sj09.marketo.com/lp/559-LNN-604/Justin-Testing-Program_Testing-Pre-Fill-Remove.html

And here is the code I'm using -- I modified it in this example to include two If statements for two fields that both use [Not Provided], but I tried it with one field and with equal lack of success. Also I am including this in an HTML element via the landing page editor, in case that matters.

<script>

MktoForms2.whenReady(function(form) {

var treatAsBlank = [

'N/A',

'Not Provided',

'[Not Provided]',

'null'

],

treatAsBlankRE = new RegExp('^(' + treatAsBlank.join('|') + ')$', 'i');

if (treatAsBlankRE.test(form.getValues().LastName)) {

form.setValues({

LastName: ''

});

}

if (treatAsBlankRE.test(form.getValues().Company)) {

form.setValues({

Company: ''

});

}

});

</script>

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

It actually does look like it's working for me: I created a lead with Last Name 'N/A' and submitted the form.  Then when I refreshed it to prefill, it blanked out the Last Name (although I could see that the server had returned the saved last name to the form, the whenReady code blanked out the input box).

Justin_Norris1

Elliott Lowe​ very clever way of doing it without any code! So many uses to parallel fields.

Sanford Whiteman​, I had a feeling you would have a fancy JS method up your sleeve

Thanks a lot guys. Both solutions would do the job.