Re: Removal of "Is Anonymous" filters.

Go to solution
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Mike,

Your answer makes sense.

We will test then 🙂

A pity that we cannot get at least the date at which the cookie was created in that field in the future. This is an info you necessarily have, since you are able to "re-run" all the smart campaigns on lead creation.

-Greg

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

The corresponding idea is here :

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't think I like the excuses being used that Marketo is growing and has trouble getting server space up.. In this day and age of cloud computing this answer doesn't make sense. If I had to guess, Marketo is preparing another product that will give this information up. Exactly what Demandbase is already doing. You can get all this inferred information on the fly and pass it over to Google Analytics. I suggest everyone check out Demandbase.

Mike

Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

Michael Rosenvall​,

It's no secret that Marketo is growing and building new products just like any other SaaS company (like Demandbase) would do. These changes to remove the "Is Anonymous" filter are part of the preparation for Munchkin V2. Munchkin V2 is a performance improvement designed to give all customers more for their money. It's not a new product, it's an increase in performance of what you already have, but with any evolution of technology, there's going to be technical changes. For example, Facebook got rid of the Wall and replaced it with Timeline. I'm sure on the back end of that, there was a technical upgrade (maintaining static pages vs scrolling feeds is a reallocation of resources), but it came with a trade off. Does that open the door to an offering of a new product later on? Of course it does--as the platform evolves it enables innovation and new offerings--not to make you pay more for what you already have, but to allow new features to be created down the road. To continue the example, Facebook constantly evolves their technology to offer new advertising options to marketers. Facebook users may not like the fact that sponsored ads show up in their Timeline now, but marketers love it (check out Facebook's info on Lead Ads​ and Marketo's Release Notes where we're now offering that integration from within Marketo). Neither the Munchkin V2 upgrade or the Facebook Lead Ads integration offering require purchasing new products. It's just an improved offering to what you already have.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I get that they are growing and trying to improve things. I've been on this platform for 6 years or so and its come a long way. But I don't think taking things away really makes sense. It never is a good idea with any software to remove powerful features like that.

But like the release notes says, the reporting of anonymous leads is still possible and you can pull in some inferred information.

Thanks for the links Mike, I think that will calm a lot of people down a bit.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

HI Mike Reynolds​,

Sorry, I have another tricky use case on this. Mister Doe navigates on our web site with 2 devices (and therefore 2 cookies). One day, he fills out a form on his laptop. So the lead gets created in the database and all historical smart campaigns are fired retroactively.

A few days later, he also fills out form on his tablet. Marketo detects it's the same person and the cookie is associated to the 1st lead. I suppose all the web activity is also (Correct if I am wrong).

But what smart campaigns are fired at that point ? is'nt is a risk that some "lead is created" campaigns are fired again (messing up with the lead data that has been modified) ?

We also need a clear understanding of what happens when an "anonymous" lead is merged with a known one/

Thx i advance for your insights.

-Greg

Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

Greg,

In this case, the second form fill out from the second device would not activate that replay process. It's a separate process. It's not a lead creation/anonymous lead promotion activity, so the replay process to activate trigger campaigns from anonymous activity is not set off. As a lead association action, it has different processing that takes affect. If the system were recognizing it as a known lead, as an anonymous web activity record being converted/promoted into a known lead, it would activate the other process, which includes the campaign replay.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Mike,

Somehow, then it would be roughly similar to what happens today when an anonymous lead is merged with a know lead : activities are appended to the know lead but all campaigns that would have changed some data to the anonymous lead (including scoring) are lost.

It inspires me a second idea to complement the one I logged a few weeks ago :

-Greg

David_Desrosie2
Level 4

It this feature delayed? Just asking since it was planned for Feb 3-5th and I still see anonymous lead in my smart campaigns results.

David_Desrosie2
Level 4

Just noticed that lead promotion and smart campaign piece was with "Post Winter Q1 Release – Staggered Release" and will take months to complete. Thanks